The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AR2,
My problem is that I will not be working with my own equipment. It's like a technician working at someone else's bench. I don't have a problem with that, I just don't want to waste time messing around.

So, whatever is there I'll work with. If someone is familiar with the equipment (the laptop for instance), they can run it. That means they will get hands on training! :D

I am hoping that our members can take some knowledge away with them and be able to build on it. At the very least, they will be more aware of what they should buy to get good results. Anyway, better measurements will help guide people to better products. Listening testing does not always direct you to the audio truth (neither does straight measurements).

We do want a THD meter as it will precondition the signal for the sound card. The "0" level out of the THD meter should be checked so an attenuator can be made before the show if required. SY has an HP 331 or something like that.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi AR2,
My problem is that I will not be working with my own equipment. It's like a technician working at someone else's bench. I don't have a problem with that, I just don't want to waste time messing around.

So, whatever is there I'll work with. If someone is familiar with the equipment (the laptop for instance), they can run it. That means they will get hands on training! :D

I am hoping that our members can take some knowledge away with them and be able to build on it. At the very least, they will be more aware of what they should buy to get good results. Anyway, better measurements will help guide people to better products. Listening testing does not always direct you to the audio truth (neither does straight measurements).

We do want a THD meter as it will precondition the signal for the sound card. The "0" level out of the THD meter should be checked so an attenuator can be made before the show if required. SY has an HP 331 or something like that.

-Chris

I understand your needs. It will be best if SY step in to let us know what are his capabilities or what he is planning to bring.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
Now you know what it's like for me to cook in a strange kitchen.
I understood. You did exceedingly well with strange equipment and odd ingredients. The meal is still remembered fondly.

I am looking at your CD right now, and your book. ;) You can start as soon as I arrive.

A 334 would be great. Auto nulling. :D That is something you want to hang onto even with some others due to it's high bandwidth. I'd like a chance to play with a 3581A. I've never seen one. I'd also love to play with a 3561, 3562, 3563, 3582, 3585, 3586, 3589, 35670 ..... on and on. So many toys, so little time.

Can you imagine having access to a lab full of new Agilent gear? :innocent:
Yes, you can get by with less. Why would you ignore better ways of getting answers?

-Chris

I'll also be bringing my Tek AA501 distortion analyzer and SG505 sine source, as promised. The AA501 will take a high-level power amp output directly, up to 300V peak. It also has a normalized line-level out, which is just a monitor of the input signal. The monitor output isn't super clean, but for most power amps, it should be sufficient for pass-through to a sound card. I'll check the levels, but I think it normalizes to either 0dBu or 0dBV. If necessary, I can supply an HP 350D stepped attenuator box.

For whoever is bringing a PC / sound card, I recommend WaveSpectra spectrum analyzer software... http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fa/efu/soft/ws/ws.html The webpage is in japanese, but the software is english. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and grab the WS131.LZH link. This little FFT program is completely free, and beats the pants off RMAA or any of the other cheap/free programs I've tried. Highly recommended for anyone else who wants a good free FFT program to use.

Edit: Oh, I'll be bringing a 2Ch. 300MHz digital scope, plus an assortment of probes, hookup cables, and banana / BNC etc. adapters, multimeter, various tools as well. Any other requests? Bench supplies? Milling machine? Anything? I'm down in the South Bay, so don't have to lug stuff too far, as long as it fits in my car without bottoming the suspension. OK, I guess the milling machine is out (not that I have one to bring anyway). Let me know and I'll see if I can accommodate.

Here is my NOS mill!

Attachments

• indumomill_small.jpg
    indumomill_small.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 314
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chad,
I'll also be bringing my Tek AA501 distortion analyzer and SG505 sine source, as promised.
Owww, forgot!

Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing how your toys work Chad. If you want, you can give a hand and get a one on one. Somehow I have the idea you know exactly what you are doing already.

-Chris

" ... You have a very tolerant wife! ..."

Well, she does like music, especially Eirc Clapton ... so, if some of you guyz will actually be demoing your goodies, she will enjoy the scene ... ;)

Even without something good to listen to, the Fort Mason Fire Station is a really wonderful place as a start / finish for a walking tour of the San Francisco water front >>> that a way to the Marina on the Green, yacht clubs, kite flying, beach, etc., <<< this a way to pier 39, Maritime Museum, Balcutha (sic), etc. ... :bigeyes: ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.