The Burning Amp 2012-Schedules & Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have some heat sinks, transformers and crossover parts I'd like to donate. Is this appropriate? Any interest? If so I'll see what else I can scrounge up.

Lots of interest. Everyone, please bring stuff that other's could use.. Informal swapping also permitted! Not sure how much Nelson will bring this year as he must be running out after all the shows! And we gave away tons of stuff from NHT the last couple of years, but that is gone now too..

I will bring the following and probably more:

- α10 preamp (with relay R-2R ladder attenuator, relay input/output switching, LCD display and IR remote control)
- β24 power amp (big solid state fully-differential amp)
- γ2 DAC (USB/coax/optical, switchable filters)
- β22 amplifier (for headphones and low-power speakers)
- laptop computer with music
- Sennheiser HD800, HD600, HD580 and PX100 headphones

Dunno which room works best for these.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Interest! Doesn't have to be in a "real" enclosure, although we need to keep the fingers out. Will it be ready? Got a preamp?

I have a PGA2320-based preamp as in volume/balance control, remote no less. See pic.
Can handle up to 4-way active installations but works plain stereo too ;-)
Would like to try it out on different systems. Will bring anyway.

jan

Attachments

• system 196k.JPG
    system 196k.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 210
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One clever thing I did was name the rooms, not use their room numbers! That way I can change my mind! Tables are provided.

The Tesla room is now where Nelson Pass was last year ... Nice! The Pass Pub is in what was the room where when had manufacturers, food, and raffles last year

The huge room where the presentations were last year will again be presentations, but when there aren't presentations, there will be exhibits,
food, drink, conversation. We have it all day this time. Just the rooms rental is about $2500. :scared:

Will there be tables in the Tesla room to set up equipment on, or do we need to bring some kind of table for that purpose?

Was this room the large lecture hall at last year's show?

-Charlie

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Absolutely! and the tables and moving blankets are linked. At the barbeque I outlined the plan, so 5 of us know what to do, and will be able to quickly explain it. Volunteers please show up at 8:30 at Building C at Ft Mason. We have about 12 red "Staff" shirts available on a first come basis. BUT the Redshirts would also have to commit to spending most of their time supervising the rooms. The rooms will be shut down for the presentations/ raffle so you won't miss them, and we can rotate people between rooms

Basically the rooms are lined with as many tables as we can fit in, around the perimeter. Each table will have a moving blanket on it, extending down the front and down the back The tables should be about 2 inches from the wall. Equipment will look quite nice displayed on the blankets, which will form bass traps of a sort and absorb some high frequencies.

At the "First Bounce" point where sound will first bounce off the side walls and at other points, we'll set a second table on top of the first blanketed table and put a blanket on it too. Maybe put some chairs on top of the second table to diffuse sound. About 7' tall in total. Lots of chairs on the floor to diffuse the sound.

Mark: Do you have a plan/method for hanging the moving blankets? Seems like this will be one of the first tasks, right in there with setting up the tables.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gary the proper Signup thread is here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/190560-burning-amp-2011-schedules-info.html#post2633485

Lets take it over there. But I've added your stuff. Including the Threshhold line stage? I'd like to see it! Well, and hear it..

OK - I'm still in. Looks like I'm bringing the following stuff for the Volta room:
1) Thorens turntable
2) ONO clone phono stage
3) Threshold fet 10e line stage
4) Altec 755c speakers

I think that's enough stuff - so I'll skip the the 2A3 SE amps, although the 755Cs do sound good with them.

---Gary

Looks like we're now a bit light on Loudspeakers and phono preamps.
Yeah loudspeakers are heavy, but we need 'em!

I can bring two sets of 2-way speakers. First is the wave guide Scan-Speaks that have been demo'ed at previous Burning Amps. Show here on the corners of the table:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The second speaker pair uses a Seas DXT and Zaph 14W mid-woofer. These have less BSC and sound best near a wall.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I haven't worked on them in a long-time; good news is they have several years of break-in :). I can present them, or they can be used demo'ing other people's electronic components.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I can bring two sets of 2-way speakers. First is the wave guide Scan-Speaks that have been demo'ed at previous Burning Amps.
The second speaker pair uses a Seas DXT and Zaph 14W mid-woofer. These have less BSC and sound best near a wall.
I can present them, or they can be used demo'ing other people's electronic components.

This is great!!! I LOVED those waveguide Scan-speaks! Later I started to wonder if they really sounded as good as they seemed, because I didn't listen to them for very long. The fire in the barbeque went out and I had to run down and fan it back to life. Now I'll have a chance to really listen to them- barring another BBQ crisis..

And the second set..... well based your other speakers, I 'm certainly interested in hearing them..

I'll assign them rooms because at Ft. Mason we have enough rooms to hear components throughout the day so we aren't presenting the components in the big room like we did at the yacht club in year's past.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Volunteers!!!! Meet between 8:30 and 9 Saturday AM

Right! the rallying..
Lets all meet Sunday the 28th at Building C, Fort Mason at 8:30AM. The entry is on the East side in the middle. Pretty sure I have enough red shirts for the people arriving on time..

Marshall,
You have the 3/4ton truck & grill right? I've bought tons of sausages, and charcoal, so our entire lunch plan is based around the grill! Pressure!! It would be great if you could get up tto Ft Mason at 8:30 and we unload the grill, then make a run to my house 6 blocks away. A whole room of my flat is filled with show stuff..

Mark

I'm creating an e-mail to the volunteers, but its not going well!

Hi Mark, just wanted to check in and see when you want the volunteers to rally?
Thanks, Bill Berndt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.