The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Soooo, I just received the 3.5" Horn Bubble Tweeters from Ebay.. Took them 3 weeks to get here using Shopusa.com.. The build quality of the tweeters seem quite nice and they are somewhat heavier than the previous tweeters i've used from Elextra.dk..

Off to testing them later today.. Gonna return with results :)

Cool. Just remember that all piezos will sound sharp right out of the box. They need to play at least 24 hours, and preferably 100 hours with low volume noise before they should be considered ready for actual testing.

Saturnus, I was wondering. If you want to build something smaller using smaller drivers than 10" like 6½" or so. Will this be possible? And are there any drivers suitable for this purpose that are smaller than the HP-10W?

I'm thinking about a suitcase size stereo, where you could use LiFePo4 batteries to reduce weight significantly for smaller trips - like to the park for instance.

Saturnus, I was wondering. If you want to build something smaller using smaller drivers than 10" like 6½" or so. Will this be possible? And are there any drivers suitable for this purpose that are smaller than the HP-10W?

I'm thinking about a suitcase size stereo, where you could use LiFePo4 batteries to reduce weight significantly for smaller trips - like to the park for instance.

I haven't found any suitable drivers actually. The closest thing is a micro version based on a pair of monacor sp60/4s and some 6 ohms tweeters but since these are 4" it'll not be even close.

The main problem is that when you reduce dimensions then the driver itself starts to take up an increasingly larger percentage of the internal volume, so you can't really go smaller than 10" if you want something even remotely similar in performance.

I thought so. I'm looking for something like 6½".

Actually there was a guy on HIFI4ALL.dk who had a good experience building a stereo with these speakers. It'll probably be nothing close to HP-10W but there will still be sound coming out of it. When you say it's not gonna work you mean that it's not gonna be optimal, right? Or am I off here?

No, it's just not going to work unless you drop the magnet to magnet idea. And those are ridiculously expensive speakers to use for this. Almost the same price for one as for a pair of HP-10Ws. Stupid idea in my opinion.

He didn't use the magnet to magnet either but just mounted them to play the same way. Here's the link for the forum thread on HIFI4ALL.dk - there's a picture on the first page. Also here's his finished result:

Svinet1.jpg

I also think that the speakers are expensive, but still you could maybe go with something else which is cheaper - For instance this (this comes in 4 ohm version also) or maybe this speaker? (the last one would require a lowpass crossover of some sort).

Sorry for being asking stupid questions, but I like the idea of having a lot of possibilities with boombox building in different sizes.

Cool. Just remember that all piezos will sound sharp right out of the box. They need to play at least 24 hours, and preferably 100 hours with low volume noise before they should be considered ready for actual testing.

Yea I know.. I've put them in now with a 27ohm resistor in series to take the edge off the sharpness.. They actually sound very nice as they are now without having played for 24 or 100 hours.. Would it hurt them to be used at high volumes without having played for an extensive amount of time at low volume? Would like to use the boombox this weekend..

Also, I recieved 2 x 8Ah SLA's today and when I measured them the voltage was around 12,85.. Isnt that a bit low for fully recharged and new batteries?

Yea I know.. I've put them in now with a 27ohm resistor in series to take the edge off the sharpness.. They actually sound very nice as they are now without having played for 24 or 100 hours.. Would it hurt them to be used at high volumes without having played for an extensive amount of time at low volume? Would like to use the boombox this weekend..

Also, I recieved 2 x 8Ah SLA's today and when I measured them the voltage was around 12,85.. Isnt that a bit low for fully recharged and new batteries?

It wouldn't hurt anything but your ears ;)

No, that's pretty good actually considering that batteries have a self-discharge which reduce shelf life. Just recharge them. Just like when you buy a phone, the first page in the instruction manual tells you to completely charge the battery before use.

It wouldn't hurt anything but your ears ;)

No, that's pretty good actually considering that batteries have a self-discharge which reduce shelf life. Just recharge them. Just like when you buy a phone, the first page in the instruction manual tells you to completely charge the battery before use.

Haha okay, well all things considering the tweeters actually sound quite pleasing as they are now.. They were very sharp without the resistor though..

Thats what I though right after posting, so i went and hooked up a charger which measured it to be half charged.. So i'm gonna top them up for a couple of hours and se whats what :)

How's that facebook group coming along? Want me create it? I have time and the "fAcEBook SkiLlZzz" for it.. hahah

There are loads on ebay, how come you cant get hold of one?
The new Lepai T-amp is very very cheap and has a good input sensitivity for mobile devices. Using a car stereo is a very bad idea for power consumption, trust me Ive had one in my old festival boombox that has been at Roskilde since 1997 and I always have to bring 2 car batteries (very heavy) and even then I sometime run out of power.

The main reason Im building a boominator is so I can leave the car batteries at home.

There are loads on ebay, how come you cant get hold of one?
The new Lepai T-amp is very very cheap and has a good input sensitivity for mobile devices. Using a car stereo is a very bad idea for power consumption, trust me Ive had one in my old festival boombox that has been at Roskilde since 1997 and I always have to bring 2 car batteries (very heavy) and even then I sometime run out of power.

The main reason Im building a boominator is so I can leave the car batteries at home.

The ones I could find was in Hong Kong, but maybe I have looked the wrong place.
Would this: TA2024 Class Tripath HI-FI Amplifier T AMP + Power | eBay UK be a far better choice than a car audio?

Just use those 4" monacors. They're really good for the price.

SP-60/4

I will try them out I think. Though it seems that there are some parameters that are missing if you're going to calculate a proper cabinet for them. You would still use them magnet to magnet, right? And then 4 speakers in total (then you would maybe also want the 8 ohm impedance version).

Do you have a fixed cabinet size for them just at your hand? And also maybe port size?

Thanks for all the replies on this matter. ;)

I will try them out I think. Though it seems that there are some parameters that are missing if you're going to calculate a proper cabinet for them. You would still use them magnet to magnet, right? And then 4 speakers in total (then you would maybe also want the 8 ohm impedance version).

Do you have a fixed cabinet size for them just at your hand? And also maybe port size?

Thanks for all the replies on this matter. ;)

No, just one per side, and no magnet to magnet construction.