The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

can anyone send me a link to the fuse i has to buy (from brinck.dk if possible) between my battery and the amp :b i use 7aH batteries. please help me :)
The TA2020 is a car radio's amplifier. So, you can go to the auto parts (car parts) store and ask them for an inline fuse suited to a class D (small) car radio.

P.S.
For TA2024, it might be helpful to put a Fairchild 1N5820 (or 1N5821 or 1N5822) in series with the fuse. According to http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/1N/1N5822.pdf the voltage drop graph says that anything over 3a is met with aggressive forward voltage drop. It is not instead of a fuse. Perhaps the diode can help reduce nuisance blowing of the fuse or amplifier.

We seriously need to get a Boominator wiki on the go. Once it gets filled in with enough content, it should deflect about 99% of the questions, and that should hopefully preserve what's left of your sanity..

I've never created a wiki in my life, and I don't have much free time to undertake such a project, but I'll certainly contribute wherever I can once it gets started up. Anyone on here, who knows a thing or two about wikis, want to take the reins?

I've actually just recently bought boominator.dk and set up mediaWiki - I just need some time to set it up etc, which I haven't really got these days.. But it installed and running :)

Boominator

It might be down or unstable for the time being as im changing the installation and stuff :)

Last edited:
I've actually just recently bought boominator.dk and set up mediaWiki - I just need some time to set it up etc, which I haven't really got these days.. But it installed and running :)

Boominator

It might be down or unstable for the time being as im changing the installation and stuff :)
Awesome, hats off to you sir.

Just created an account, I'll poke a thing or two up there when I find the time. I'll probably bang out a page on how to wire up a classic Boominator, paying attention to things like fusing, adding 12V accessories and whatnot.

Awesome, hats off to you sir.

Just created an account, I'll poke a thing or two up there when I find the time. I'll probably bang out a page on how to wire up a classic Boominator, paying attention to things like fusing, adding 12V accessories and whatnot.

Cool, i've just started off by adding a few main pages, like amplifiers, wood, woofers etc etc.. Its amazingly easy to create a new page with info, so hopefully people will join and add info so we can build a valuable and rich tool for building boominators :)

Hello!

I have a question about my half boominator (halfinator) that I would love to be answered.
If I make sure the input is in mono by using a stereo to mono-adapter (RadioShack Gold Series Stereo-to-Mono Audio Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com), so that the 2 channels are summarized and nothing gets lost. Will I then get louder output if I parallel my 2 speakers on just 1 channel? Playing my halfinator in mono...

Or will it be the same as if I have a stereo signal coming in to the amp6-b, and wiring my 2 speakers in series (in stereo)?

Thanks in advance!

Or could I maybe do it in this way:

First of all make sure that the signal coming in to the amp6 is in mono with a stereo-to-mono-adapter (RadioShack Gold Series Stereo-to-Mono Audio Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com). In that way the left and right channel should both the same signal, a summarized signal from both channels.

If I then connect the left and right's +, and the left and right's - from the amp6-b's outputs, to get a summarized output signal from the amp.

And from there parallel connect the 2 HP-10W with the summarized signal?

Like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or could I maybe do it in this way:

First of all make sure that the signal coming in to the amp6 is in mono with a stereo-to-mono-adapter (RadioShack Gold Series Stereo-to-Mono Audio Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com). In that way the left and right channel should both the same signal, a summarized signal from both channels.

If I then connect the left and right's +, and the left and right's - from the amp6-b's outputs, to get a summarized output signal from the amp.

And from there parallel connect the 2 HP-10W with the summarized signal?
the resistor has to be between woofer + and piezo + . then piezo - to woofer - . and then woofer - to amp - and woofer + to amp +.

. . . If I then connect the left and right's +, and the left and right's - from the amp6-b's outputs, to get a summarized output signal from the amp. And from there parallel connect the 2 HP-10W with the summarized signal?
It will necessitate adding ballast resistors that will waste some of your power, or maybe your amp will explode anyway. It is unnecessary and unorthodox to do this to TA2020 when driving a 4 ohm load. For TA2020, if you want monophonic, use one channel, and short the input of the unused channel (requests to amplify nothing) to help conserve battery power.

Boominator: American Parts List?

I have read and re-read this thread and am ready to move to budgeting my own build.

All of the P-Audio products are next to impossible to source here in the US as
best I can tell.
I see the alternative for the Goldwood GW-1058 which can be sourced through
Parts-Express.
Also the Eminence S2010 (Although I have yet to see where anyone has used this in a magnet to magnet mounting design. I did see where the idea of using PVC over the magnets was suggested but not sure if anyone ever implemented it and reported back on results.)
Also I have found the Piezos through Martin Sound. However the PHT407N
super tweeter is once again seemingly impossible to get in the US.
So what is a solid tweeter option that's available state side? Preferably through Parts Express as well.

Lastly with the tweeter option (not piezo) has anyone nailed down a solid crossover? I realize this is driver specific but if someone in the states has already done a driver/crossover combo I would be curious on your feedback.
IE used the Goldwood Woofer and (Insert Tweeter Model Number) with this crossover design.

Thx for any feedback. Looking forward to spending some time on this project.

Halfinator power question solved

Hello! I have a question about my half boominator (halfinator) that I would love to be answered. If I make sure the input is in mono by using a stereo to mono-adapter, so that the 2 channels are summarized and nothing gets lost. Will I then get louder output if I parallel my 2 speakers on just 1 channel?
The constructive answer:
No, AND here is what you could do instead: The expensive speakers for boominator and halfinator could handle more power than a t-amp. For halfinator, you're using half as many woofers, thus half the load and thus you need higher amplifier voltage.

Boominator with ta2020 at 13v. . . translate to Halfinator with TDA7492 at 26v. 2 X 50 watt TDA7492 with switchable gain. <--link to amp You'll be able to run 24v batteries and thereby the amp is a LOT more powerful. Of course feel free to replace the fan with a computer market 80mm thermo fan (quiet) if you desire to do so. Enjoy the switchable gain with your iphone/digiplayer whenever it is time to drive the amp however loud you want.

The constructive answer:
No, AND here is what you could do instead: The expensive speakers for boominator and halfinator could handle more power than a t-amp. For halfinator, you're using half as many woofers, thus half the load and thus you need higher amplifier voltage.

Boominator with ta2020 at 13v. . . translate to Halfinator with TDA7492 at 26v. 2 X 50 watt TDA7492 with switchable gain. <--link to amp You'll be able to run 24v batteries and thereby the amp is a LOT more powerful. Of course feel free to replace the fan with a computer market 80mm thermo fan (quiet) if you desire to do so. Enjoy the switchable gain with your iphone/digiplayer whenever it is time to drive the amp however loud you want.

Thanks for a great answer!

Is sure electronics the one you recommend? I do think I've seen some recommendations of Hifimediy over Sure Electronics for 24v amps.

And one more question:
How long would you estimate the battery time using 2x 12v/12ah SLA for the Sure 2 x 50 W TDA7492?

All the best,
bekutori

Last edited: