The Black Hole......

And then why do you need a clean sine wave? You aren't spinning a motor with your backup are you? Even motors today tend to be brushless DC types which are not connected to the line. As long as the higher harmonics are not too strong the transformers won't be stressed. Its all the rectifiers on the power line that give the 3% to 5% HD flattened sine wave usually seen on domestic power distribution.

Demian,

It is mostly higher harmonics! I find otherwise quiet transformers buzz on cheap generator power. The issue for my use shows up on radio station power, when the transmitter building with back up power also serves as an emergency studio.

Playing around my conclusion is that a motor generator is not as good a solution to clean audio power as is a sine wave UPS.

I am working toward that goal Mark. I already have a new DAC, now I have to get the rest of the digital hookup. Except for your input, Mark, the only route to CD reproduction that I believe will give optimum performance would be MSB, but they are just too expensive. I want to avoid CD's almost entirely and go the hi performance route for digital playback, like Richard.
For the record, I know that the OPPO 105 just is not enough, even at SACD or 24-96K, CD is almost a joke.

I believe that most of those who are measurements obsessed here don't agree, since they usually claim "there is no difference between expensive and cheap contemporary DACs".
Moreover, maybe they have read the ASR review of the MSB DAC and the measurements are not so spectacular.

Although I have never listened to the MSB digital chain I'm confident it sounds very well.
IMHO, they have the right approach to get the best sonic performance.
They use ladder architecture instead of PWM noise generation, they care a lot about the DAC timing, no PLL, different time domains for the source and the DAC with the source slaved to the clock feeding the DAC, best isolation as possible between the two domains using optic fiber cables and so on.

Then we can argue if the price is excessive, maybe.
But the cost of an audio device is not merely its BOM, there is a lot of time spent for development, and time is not free.
You can spend USD 500 an hour on legal advice, it's time only, there is no BOM.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Too bad in ear things are just are not going to happen here, I'll stick with my HD650's. My laptop's audio jack broke so I had to get an HDMI audio extractor with built-in DAC, sounds fine to me. I can't deal with fussing with a new computer right now.

I get that IEMs are very marmite and if you do get a good seal every sip of tea and bite of snack causes some wierd sounds. Walking is a very odd sensation.

I left my external DAC in the office thinking lockdown wouldn't be long...silly of me. But maybe I could do the rediculous and hook the clip into my Koss energiser and use that. Short on desk space and I'll feel bad if I have to evict the metcal. Hmmm

I’m not surprised by the number of software engineers these days that don’t have a clue what is a pointer, polymorphism, and the difference between a class and an object. Yes, I am old as dirt and clearly over qualified (to obsolescence) as a programmer, that’s why I am into management.

You are not so old, if you were so old you didn't talk about classes and objects (maybe you could add SOAP and json).
You should talk about Cobol and RPG, not about toys for Windows developers.

Demian,

It is mostly higher harmonics! I find otherwise quiet transformers buzz on cheap generator power. The issue for my use shows up on radio station power, when the transmitter building with back up power also serves as an emergency studio.

Playing around my conclusion is that a motor generator is not as good a solution to clean audio power as is a sine wave UPS.

Snap! I find the same with Generacs, and small generators but the high end (>50 KW) Kohler and Caterpillars seem to generate a much cleaner sine wave and I do not have that problem with them. We have a 2 MW Caterpillar backup at the WUNC-TV complex which is a marvel, including the synchronous transfer switch. It slowly synchronizes the speed and voltage to match the grid, then closes the transfer switch, putting the facility AND generator online, and after a few seconds disconnects the generator. Watching the output waveform as it transfers is amazing, hardly a glitch, but the generator waveform is cleaner than the Duke Energy feed.

Cheers!
Howie

Although I have developed for years and I currently develop in Delphi, C, C#, Vb.net and so on, Windows itself is a toy and even its software development tools.

The only solid OSs and development tools come from Rochester.

With all due respect, your attitude is clueless. I work in a regulated industry on safety critical software. I’m not terribly interested in what some IT Jitterati thinks.

Which reminds me of one of the more marmite languages out there in Smalltalk. It appears to be either 'love it' or 'be afraid'.

Then of course there is Java, the curse of 21st century IT systems. I will keep my views on that to myself...

If you've been working in information technology for 35 years, you might understand.
If you don't know what I meant with "Rochester" you cannot understand.

The same thing when you can't understand JC point of view and when you claim "there is no difference between expensive and cheap contemporary DACs".

Which reminds me of one of the more marmite languages out there in Smalltalk. It appears to be either 'love it' or 'be afraid'.

Then of course there is Java, the curse of 21st century IT systems. I will keep my views on that to myself...

With all due respect, your attitude is clueless. I work in a regulated industry on safety critical software. I’m not terribly interested in what some IT Jitterati thinks.

With the same due respect, your opinion about IT is not the Holy Grail.

But if you would argue about an OS which is not able to manage the interrupts (so you have to restart it several times a day) against a OS which addresses a a single memory level, which manage correctly the interrupts, wich isolates perfectly the threads and so on, I'm here.

But maybe you don't know what I'm talking about.

With the same due respect, your opinion about IT is not the Holy Grail.

But if you would argue about an OS which is not able to manage the interrupts (so you have to restart it several times a day) against a OS which addresses a a single memory level, which manage correctly the interrupts, wich isolates perfectly the threads and so on, I'm here.

But maybe you don't know what I'm talking about.

No, you don't know what you are talking about. Can you please keep your totally uninformed rants to your own threads? Thanks.

Windows is not a hard RTOS, nor is it supposed to be. You don't even understand what an interrupt or a thread is, apparently, based on your post. Object oriented programming is not exclusive to Windows or any of the languages you mentioned. I'm going to let this go from here on to spare the thread.

Last edited: