The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
[comment][/comment]instead of sitting down in regret for the end of a component potentially bringing advantages as overwhelming as you claim.

But usually while sitting on a big stash of NOS parts and glossing that nothing could replace them without degrading the sound. Yet another unobtanium type of differentiator, common in high end audio.

NPO/COG is the way to go for values up to 50 nF

The dielectric is as close to perfect as you can get and they are general available in 2% or even 1% tolerance

Hardly an argument with you, but I do remember Victor looking at his oscillator performance with an smd film of somethingoranother vs a good name-brand C0G/NP0 and seeing a material difference in performance. Mind you this is a -150 db error oscillator we're talking...

It's buried somewhere in the low-distortion oscillator thread.

Scott -- I have my very few grammar nazi things, and this is unfortunately one I did wrong for a long time so I cannot look past it. Again, totally friendly, and half-self deprecating my pedantry.

GUNFU, as you are relatively new here, I understand that you don't know all that has been measured with caps over the last 70 years or more.
Three people well known here, Richard Marsh (first to realize that DA in caps might be very important), John Curl (me) (first to put in print nonlinear distortion in ceramic and tantalum caps) and Walt Jung (who put it all together in writing interesting articles about cap differences) did all this 40 years ago or more.
We have constantly reminded people here of these measurements, to the point of boredom, but some here don't really care, and want to use what is most convenient or available.
In any case, you have to do a bit of independent research for the past articles or make your own measurements to settle the question for you. The final judgement is whether you can actually hear the difference between caps, and usually you can, if your playback system is accurate enough.
As far as I understand, the dadod uses these capacitors in the feedback loop in the power amplifier as correction capacitors. Most likely, 40 years ago, your colleagues did not conduct such experiments. Since his technique has improved somewhat and the necessary equipment is already in place, his experience will be interesting. I don't see any problems with melting the dielectric of these capacitors. To be sure of the result, a low-melting solder can be used in this place. As far as I know, polystyrene capacitors are now produced in UK, Russia and Hong Kong.

As for low distortion in microphones, this is also not the case. It's pretty easy to overload them with a unique powerful voice or the sound of a powerful instrument.
Nevaton BPT vs. AKG C12 vs. Neumann M149 vs. Neumann TLM170 - YouTube

Last edited:
NPO/COG is the way to go for values up to 50 nF

The dielectric is as close to perfect as you can get and they are general available in 2% or even 1% tolerance

I have seen really big ones from Johanson Dielectrics, they were the size
of multiple sugar cubes, built from stacks of large chips:

< High Voltage Capacitors and Power Resistors | Johanson Dielectrics >

These are only the components for the stacks. I don't want to search the arrays now.

< High Voltage Capacitors and Power Resistors | Johanson Dielectrics >

Cheers, Gerhard

After few unsoldering and soldering the same position you can't be sure not to damage the board, it already happened to me, and that was finished amp and I don't want to redo whole board.
Yes, this is for the future. Since this is not a rocket, and in general for household purposes on a board, it may be better to use low-melting solders. Of course, if this place does not heat up during operation. This is better for both parts and the board, and for subsequent testing and selection of the correct parts, and even for a soldering iron, it is also better, it will just last longer.
Earlier I did not attach importance to the choice of parts, since there was not much choice either. And because even cables have a huge impact on the final result, choosing the right parts in the right place can also give an excellent result, much more than you might expect.

It doesn't sound like an advertisement, but it is said that it is at Naim Audio that close attention is paid to the selection of the right parts, and they listen carefully to them in their amplifiers. And judging by their choice, for example capacitors, this seems to be true.
Regarding Parasound amplifiers, I have not heard such beautiful stories, but I read about numerous complaints regarding poorly working volume controls and defects in the power supply in a power amplifier, a bad preamplifier, and in general the reviews are not as rosy as about Naim Audio products.

Last edited:
After few unsoldering and soldering the same position you can't be sure not to damage the board, it already happened to me, and that was finished amp and I don't want to redo whole board.

For what it's worth, if I need to mess with some parts, I solder pins to the board, then the parts to the pins. Attached is a pic of a RIAA network; the Philips 1% polystyrenes can also be seen.

Attachments

• RIAA-trim.jpg
    RIAA-trim.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 220
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can recommend solder wick. It’s not cheap, but it works much better than a desolder gun which I find after a few component changes in the same position can lift tracks.

The other good trick for removing solder in vias and component holes is the ‘smack’ method. You get the solder flowing and then whack the board on the bench - the solder shoots out. Something to do with one of Newton’s laws :D

The first people (to my knowledge) who did the majority of work in problems with caps, were those associated with ANALOG COMPUTERS in the early 1950's. They even found notable problems with polystyrene caps! This is because you could actually SEE the problem of DA in caps in the results. Most of this research was forgotten for a few decades, until some people noted problems with sample and hold circuits when using 'typical' caps, and later, audio designers, who found problems in the mid 70's.
Polystyrene caps are still being made, now they use Chinese film rather than German.