The Black Hole......

They show that in order to create a sound pressure that reproduces the piano at its peak, it is about 110dB, for conventional speakers with a sensitivity of 96dB / W / 1m, an amplifier power of 25W is sufficient.

I have a 15 year old living with me that plays piano loudly. While I admire his finger strength, there's not much I can say when he's doing a good job practicing...as he's supposed to.

However, when he tries to tell me my stereo is oft played at higher SPLs than his piano playing, that's when the little black cloud really forms over my head. Now I have the math to discharge along some lightning bolt -

My wideband driver happens to be "96dB / W / 1m". Now all I have to do is dig out the LED bar graph power meter I saved from that junked Kenwood amp -

I bet I'm nowhere near 25W with the way I listen -

I've been waiting for someone to mention the only real reason to have an amp with high power: headroom, not average power.
I would love to be able to afford a pair of John's JC1+ amps, I prefer acoustic suspension speakers and the Celestions I often listen to are rated at 87 dB 1W/1m. I strongly prefer an amplifier which can cleanly pass peaks 16-20 dB above average listening level, which for me would usually be around 90 dB. This means my amp needs to be able to pass 200-300 W peaks at least, frequency dependent.

This is another case where a single number does not fully express the situation: a speaker's power handling is not even across the spectrum, nor is it constant with time as the VCs heat up.

Cheers,
Howie
Thanks Howie,

I had hoped to get this kind of answer from JC to my question.
A clear well written opininion for and amp that’s supposedly not intended to be used in studios.
And I would also love to compare them to my amps, but I’m afraid that will never happen.

Hans

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Markw4 appears to have perceptive ears, unlike most of you out there.

Well, the most probable situation is that he has average ears as the rest of us. The difference could be the personality on which the ears sit on and how and why that person express himself about what he hears. It can e.g. be attention seeking where gullible personalities may fall for the "talk"... you know, like the ones falling for Bayb....

But it doesn't really matter, this is not about lung ventilation or going to the moon - sports that require real facts and precision and where fairy-tails and sweat-talk don't mean anything and nobody would listen anyway.

I'm sure you have nice conversations. Just don't compare/judge it with what others might do and think here. Because parts of it is a made-up world of truths/facts that makes up for a cosy feeling between "like-thinkers" - supporting their needs and goals in life - be them on purpose or not - it could take a few sessions on the day-bed to sort that out.

//

Talking about the NS10’s, I find them unbearable for music reproduction. However, I can understand their presence in many recording studios; if the sound engineer can make a recording to sound acceptable on that junk, then it is guaranteed the recording will sound good on any other decent speaker.
I heard from the engineer another simpler version of the NS10. They also said that it was junk, but there is cheap junk in any studio in the world, de facto this is the standard of junk. And therefore, wherever you are, in any country and any studio you will always understand how your work sounds through this junk. Regarding the influence of audio cables, I made cables for myself and friends. In interconnect cables, as well as in capacitors, there is also insulation and it is made of various materials, now it is mainly Teflon and (or) polyethylene and their modifications or even air if possible. This capacitance between the cable conductors creates a non-linear capacitance as in capacitors. If anyone does not believe, read The Art of Electronics, authors from Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill there are also written in detail about this. So it is precisely this nonlinearity of the capacitance that causes additional nonlinearity in the output stage of the preamplifiers.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. This means with an average output level of 10 watts, the amplifier should be able to cleanly reproduce 400W-1KW peaks.
That's LOUD. Even with 84dB/w type domestic speakers. 1W average is more usual domestically or even less

average listening level, which for me would usually be around 90 dB. This means my amp needs to be able to pass 200-300 W peaks at least, frequency dependent.

You listen way louder than I do. If I had a well insulated listening room then just maybe I could justify a pair of ATCs with headroom to spare, but my life does not allow this except with headphones. Note of course modern pop music has peaks only 3-6dB up on average. Sob.

Anyway, who says just because you have an amp with a KW of potential output power you have to use it? Just as a car which is safe at 100 MPH is more stable at a slower speed, so is an amp which is stable at a KW is likely more stable at 200 W than a 200 W amp.

If I needed those levels I'd go active. A far better engineering solution to the problem!

Thanks to NS-10, thousands of inferior speaker products live happy and well on the market. So does millions of poor music recordings.

Thank you Yamaha. Thank you studios.

//
In any studio that records sound for sale, there is a huge selection of equipment that a sound engineer can use in a particular recording. At least 5-20 kinds of microphones, many different monitors. Monitors themselves are also divided into views by field. These are near field monitors, middle field monitors and the most powerful far field monitors. In always recordings are alternately listened through all kinds of monitors in turn. And not only on one junk HC10.

You guys overlook, or don't know about, the normal operating conditions of the NS10, or any unpleasant studio monitor speakers:
with toilet paper!
769926d1537914089-ns10-tissue-trick-img_9432.jpg

I've successfully applied this magic to control the directivity of line arrays.

Note of course modern pop music has peaks only 3-6dB up on average. Sob.
And how much do you rate the dynamic range of this music?

So you read a book and now know how ALL studios are setup?
However, here they say that in all studios there is only one **** NC10 are you sure about this?

Last edited:
On a side note I should be getting in a truckload of now "obsolete" high school physics equipment. An optical spectroscope, a flouroscope, a tesla coil, tunable small organ pipes, ripple tanks, lab glassware etc. all from a now closed and replaced private school building.

Tesla coil will probably only be pried from my cold dead hands! All the rest will be sold to benefit the replacement school building.