The Black Hole......

NASA Voyager recordings

I wish I had taken a copy of a cassette that was going around work in 1990 of the sound of a satellite. Taken from a vibration sensor on a 3-axis stabilised comms sat. There is quite a lot going on with all the reaction wheels and thrusters. ...

I really enjoy listening to the augmented Voyager magnetometer, plasma detector and other signals used to make the 5 disc 'Symphonies Of The Planets' set.
Much of the actual sound is not the actually Voyager data, it is the work of Jeffrey Thompson who many may consider of questionable veracity with his neuroacoustic venture. If you are interested in hearing a representative sample of the raw data check this out: YouTube

After listening to that for a while (and letting my ears recover) I find what he has created based on the difficult-to-listen-to raw Voyager data tapes is really nice, the resulting recordings are beautiful and haunting. As is written on the CD sleeve in flowery prose:

Voyager Recordings - Symphonies Of The Planets

Share the journey of a 5 billion mile trek to the outer limits of our solar system. Hear the beautiful songs of the planets. The complex interactions of the cosmic plasma of the universe, charged electromagnetic particles from the solar wind, planetary magnetosphere, rings and moons create vibration soundscapes which are at once utterly alien and deeply familiar to the ear. Some of these sounds are hauntingly like human voices singing, giant Tibetan bowls, wind waves, birds and dolphins. Many are familiar in a way unique for each listener.

VOYAGER has left our solar system forever. The sounds on this recording will never be made again in our lifetime.

I have spent nearly 50 years as a radio amateur listening to radio signals as they interact with natural systems like the Earth's tropospheric and magnetic processes, auroral and meteor reflections and others and when I listen to these recordings I can hear some of the similar sounds and effects which gives them credibility as natural processes. Indeed I get some of the same thrill listening to them that I do when hearing far-off signals on ham radio modulated by aurora or ionospheric undulations, except these processes are that of the other planets, which is amazing...as processed as it is, it is a wonderful sense of insight into natural processes otherwise unavailable to raw senses. Recommended, regardless of the "nature" of the recording. You can listen to them here:
YouTube

Cheers!
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I really enjoy listening to the augmented Voyager magnetometer,
A week ago I watched a TV interview of Dr. Stamatios Krimigis, one of the few early participants of Voyager program still alive. He talked on specifics for his current involvement in managing solutions for the power distribution among essential functional blocks and scientific experiments on board Voyager now that the remaining power generation is less than half the initially available.
NASA - Voyager Space Science Update panelists
NSSDC Master Catalog Display: Experiment List

Indeed I get some of the same thrill listening to them that I do when hearing far-off signals on ham radio modulated by aurora or ionospheric undulations, except these processes are that of the other planets, which is amazing...as processed as it is

Howie,
Would you like a feed to this antenna?
YouTube

George

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The interaction above led me to look up Jupiter’s magnetic field properties.

I knew it was strong, but not this strong

Magnetosphere of Jupiter - Wikipedia

No wonder NASA worried about Juno getting fried. Seems the biggest issue is magnetically accelerated ions from Io’s ejecta traveling at 100’s of km/s

Radiated power from its aurora in table below

‘Electric Universe‘ anyone?
:D

Attachments

• 48AAFAE4-1743-487D-83E9-99EB1D4FCF46.jpeg
    48AAFAE4-1743-487D-83E9-99EB1D4FCF46.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I was slightly intrigued as to who was doing this, then decided life was too short and the mods won't tell anyway :)

I've been trying to expand my knowledge of female electronic music pioneers and latest I am sampling is Laurie Spiegel. Made me realise more about the breadth and depth of Bell labs research in its glory years and also made me wonder, does any single 21st Century company come within 20dB of them in terms of the amount of good stuff they did? (note I know the world has changed and fundamental research costs a parcel more now than it used to, but still interested in opinions).

...I've been trying to expand my knowledge of female electronic music pioneers and latest I am sampling is Laurie Spiegel...

+10

...Made me realise more about the breadth and depth of Bell labs research in its glory years and also made me wonder, does any single 21st Century company come within 20dB of them in terms of the amount of good stuff they did?...

+10 as well...There is an online archive of their newsletters in several locations, 1922-1957 can be found here and you can disappear for a week reading this stuff...

Cheers!
Howie

1R5 can somewhat replace 1L6 in the Zenith Trans Oceanic, however performance suffers above 12 or 13 MHz, and the front end should be realigned to best utilize it.

My Trans Oceanic's typically sit in the broadcast band or low shortwave, and 1R5 is indistinguishable from 1L6 there. 1L6 is not that hard to find. WB0SND had a bunch of JAN 1L6 on sale when I last looked at his web site.