The best CUSTOM driver ever for High-End Audiophile sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just keep in mind that Eivind Skaaning isn't a newbie in this busines as he is the founder of other brands mentioned within this thread.
He is also the owner of some patents still used by Dynaudio for instance.
I own two 8" drivers manufactured by Per Skaaning and they are great. Also Peter Daniel used some and he is content as well.

If I intended to build really expensive speakers I would take some of them for mid and low/mid but I might probably choose something else for subs.

Regards

Charles

I used them for three reasons: 1.) I am a fan of Dynaudio drivers and the way they are built 2.) Dynaudio isn't easily available anymore and 3) they have less Vd than I wanted.

So I went for the Audiotechnology drivers which are the closest thing to Dynaudio - but with the TSPs that I wanted. My drivers have a voice-coil overhang of 9.5 mm (each side) and a 75 mm diameter voice-coil. Max excursion before damage is 37 mm p-p.

The day they arrived per mail, I quickly hooked them up and ran them for some days on my office-table (in free air): Their midrange smoothness is excellent to say the least !

I am convinced that their larger woofers are also nothing but great, but when it comes to the the price/volume-displacement ratio others might be much more competitive.

Regards

Charles

It is not the volume displacement / dollar ratio that interests me. I just want a good quality driver.

A particular Eton driver looks promising too: The 11-581/50 HEX

Quick summary of the specs:

Vas: 153
Fs: 21Hz
Qts: 0.3
Re: 5,2
Le: 1,18

I was trying this with a Vb of 67 and a Fb of 27 which doen't look too bad.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 635
Right, Lambda SB12 in 130 liter sealed box, crossed over with Marchand XM44 somewhere between 100-150 Hz.

At least, thats the plan.

FOr the money (transport and taxes was quite al lot) I could also almost have chosen for a pair of 12" Flexunits. However I just want to try sealed enclosure. This units should give an f3 of 27 hz.

Something I forgot to mention: Someone was talking about linearity. You can have your Flex-units made with an underhung voice-coil, which gives one of the most linear solutions possible.
If you use the woofer mainly for music this might be an important criterion.
Now there are other fine woofers with underhung voice-coils, like TC sounds. But if you want to get these in Europe they will also be expensive, but they wouldn't come with customized TSPs.

Regards

Charles

I had a couple of this companys´ drivers in my hands but as most suggested, very expensive stuff.

Avalon sure has their reasons as to why they use Eton bassdrivers instead of those danish drivers. Of course they are not a bargain either but the sound is awsome.

I worked with Eton 11" and 12" drivers in passive and active setups and results were all very satisfactory. At 60l net volume the 12" driver is as well tight, fast and seep without throwing my N°333 Levinson at it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.