The Beat Goes On - - Best Drum kits, and Drummers on Youtube

I wonder about Senri's mic mix and the artistic intent for that solo as its compressed quite a bit - maybe more than needed as TT's Offline Meter inicates an "8"

- with mic up cliose I would expect a snappy rim shot to register "20" or higher on that meter. Whether that's usable or desirable wtih many speaker and listeners = ?

LTw6jcA.png

Here's a general demo of a drumkit with no intentional electronic compression

YouTube

4T1QCXX.png

Last edited:
I think for general listening on things like you tube some compression is necessary. Trying the uncompressed sample you supplied was difficult at best because I could hardly hear the quiet parts without increasing the volume full up. However, being an audiophile of sorts I usually dislike compressed music. I generally like percussionists for their style and abilities.

How about Simon Phillips?
Or the more avant-garde Kuniko Kato

I really enjoy the energy and skill that was put into the album “Ten”, by Pearl Jam.
The drumming by Dave Krusen really helped to distinguish them from the myriad of other bands at that time. Before they went all mushy and pop-like, still great, but nothing like what preceded that.
There’s a reason the hall of fame induction included the early drummer...

Phase,

Indeed a classic album.

But also the most commercial and sales orientated- or Pop (and mushy, though rocky) hence the remaster due to Vedders displeasure with the pop orientated mastering

Vs and Yield are still good. Not to mention No code, Binaural, Vitology, and Riot Act where they start running out of ideas and go in a slightly different direction

The last 2 albums are a bit naff

I am lucky to have grown up here in the Pacific Northwest during those times.
Got to see many bands and variations of them, saw Slash play in a daycare center in a rural area once in high school, and Green River at the Oddfellows hall in Seattle. Our neighbor had a lesser known band that regularly borrowed gear from Alice In Chains, was quite an active time for bands around here.
I have to admit I’m a bit biased, having gone to high school with Dave, lots of fun times! I recall when he played with some friends at our house in Seattle one time just before PJ.

The drummer from the Screaming Trees, Barrett Martin, is a noteworthy drummer as well.

I am lucky to have grown up here in the Pacific Northwest during those times.
Got to see many bands and variations of them, saw Slash play in a daycare center in a rural area once in high school, and Green River at the Oddfellows hall in Seattle. Our neighbor had a lesser known band that regularly borrowed gear from Alice In Chains, was quite an active time for bands around here.
I have to admit I’m a bit biased, having gone to high school with Dave, lots of fun times! I recall when he played with some friends at our house in Seattle one time just before PJ.

The drummer from the Screaming Trees, Barrett Martin, is a noteworthy drummer as well.

Very lucky Phase!

I saw Mark Lanegan (Screaming trees), Matt Cameron (Soundgarden), Nick Oliveri (Mondogenerator/Kyuss), in various combinations, as 3 different bands in one gig, in Birmingham UK.
I just realised I repeated myself...apologies
It was right about the time, they were collaborating for Desert sessions (I believe) and right about when QOTSA turned into a real band (and not just for the EP).
Probably about 2005? Maybe earlier.
Sad I never got to see Cornell, or Cobain in the flesh.
Kim Thayil is a legend. Besides the obvious guitar greats, Hendrix, Plant, he has to be the one guitarist I sought to emulate, fascinated with his rough, wah crazy solos! Not to mention the oddball tunings!

A friend of a friend, started playing drums in a best school mates band, a few years earlier.

Hes been playing for the UK Subs for quite a while now (famous, but perhaps not over that side of the pond), and he has stood in for a few very well known Punk bands, including a well known German punk band.

Gosh. Ten was THE album, besides Bleach and Nevermind, that I worked out how to play (badly), and it was what started my journey into learning the guitar, and playing in a couple of bands, age 15 and on ('93 and on)

Barrett Martin is also a great drummer, though I was less into Screaming Trees, less familiar.

Jimmy Chamberlain was also awesome, with his jazzy rock styling (though not Seattle scene)

Halcyon times indeed ;)

when music was vibrant and evolving, when I spent many night watching and rewatching MTV unplugged - and all those, now classic, performances.

Alice in chains unplugged is still a regular play, all these years on.

Last edited:
Mondo, very cool that you’d been in a band during that time, you’re lucky to have the ability to play music.

I hadn’t been into the screaming trees myself, but had heard the drummer at this other event years later...

A couple years back, I had found out about a Bonzo’s bash event, celebrating the life and drumming of the late John Bonham, here in a small venue in Seattle. I had heard from Dave K. that tickets had just gone on sale and to not wait if I wanted to go. That had to be some of the best drumming I’d seen in a single show. Each drummer was very accomplished, and played a single Led Zeppelin song, and there were many. I managed to get a front row seat, directly in front of the kit. I really couldn’t say which was the best, was majestic however.

This guy is awesome!
When a Costumed Person Destroys The Drums At Children?s Music Concert - NyangoStar - - YouTube

Edit:
Nyango Star: The Heavy Metal Cat Mascot Saving A Japanese Farm (HBO) - YouTube

"An apple that’s been inhabited by the spirit of a dead cat." Fantastic!
Nice to create some awareness around farming and local produce as well. I want to go there.

There's even a whole band now.
????????????2017???????????????????????????????????2017?11?12???? - YouTube
Very impressive stuff!

Last edited: