the baffle-step frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on a 2.5 way tower speaker consisting of two 55-1200 4.5 poly woofers from mcm and the 53-525 1" silk dome tweeters.Using the formulas that your links provided, I should bring in the .5 woofer at approximately 830hz at 6db.This seems kinda high for a 5.5 inch wide cabinet.Any thoughts on this?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ttvonau said:
I'm working on a 2.5 way tower speaker consisting of two 55-1200 4.5 poly woofers from mcm and the 53-525 1" silk dome tweeters.Using the formulas that your links provided, I should bring in the .5 woofer at approximately 830hz at 6db.This seems kinda high for a 5.5 inch wide cabinet.Any thoughts on this?

Seems about right. That is why i like to keep my 2.5 ways about 13" wide (~300 hz) or better yet, make them bipolar and you get perfect acoustic baffle-step no matter what your box shape.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ttvonau said:
In bipolar you mean simply mounting the .5 on the rear of the cabinet straight across from the front mounted woofer.If so would the fact that the cabinet depth is 10" would there not be other unwanted effects caused by this configuration.

The amplitude of any re-transmission thru the cones may increase -- but the time delay would be half.

If you let the rear driver run FR you have to have the room to support it.

On the other hand any phase anomalies from rolling off the rear woofer, would be in the rear and radiating in 2 pi so you wouldn't get the comb filtering you do with a front facing 2.5.

And the big benefit -- if you tightly couple the drivers mechanically is an almost total cancellation of newtonian forces, with a subsequent increase in detail.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.