The Aleph J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"The exciting new Aleph J is here from Nelson Pass! It is the long awaited replacement for the popular Aleph 30. Nelson literally assembles each of these amplifiers himself under the First Watt name. Like the Aleph 30, the Aleph J is 30 wpc into 8 ohms of pure single ended Class A power, has only two gain stages and offers both RCA single ended and XLR balanced inputs. Improvements include a JFET input (hence the name Aleph J) instead of a MOSFET input. The JFET input lowers noise about 12db and decreases the amount of feedback necessary by 10db. The JFET still drives an all MOSFET output stage. The reduction in noise and feedback gives the Aleph J a noticeably more relaxed and refined sound than the Aleph 30. It emulates the sound of a good tube amplifier more closely and allows one to hear low level detail better. The lower noise is especially a benefit when used on high sensitivity speakers. Like the Aleph 30, it is designed to safely run very hot due to it's true Class A biasing. It puts off about as much heat as two 100 hundred watt light bulbs. It's chassis is similar in size to an Aleph 30 but with a silver faceplate instead of black, and a back panel mounted power switch as the amp is designed to be left on for best sound. For a limited time as a introductory offer, you can trade you AGS 9/10 condition Aleph 30 in on a new Aleph J (retail of $2500) for a difference of only $1199 plus $50 UPS ground shipping. Since most people bought their Aleph 30's from us to begin with for $1399, you will be getting over 90% of what you paid for the Aleph 30 back on trade. Allow 2-3 weeks to receive your new Aleph J. It will ship directly to you from Pass Labs in California. Contact Audio Video Logic for more information or to order at 515-727-2279."

Quote from Audiogon...I think I might just plunk on a used A30 and trade it in for the J.

The Aleph 3 is not a dog...

The Aleph 3 is still the best sounding.

Notice i said the 3.

Not the 30, not the J.

I'm talking about the Aleph 3, the amp that made Stereophile
change the way they viewed their class A rating.

The little sea urchin that could.

And you need the one that didn't have half the rear heatsink cut
away - so that complainers could hookup their fat speaker wires.

The original Aleph 3 with no compromises.

less is more... these new interations are only complicating the proof.

:devilr:

/moe29 - proud owner of an Aleph 3.

moe, you reckon so? I have never had the opportunity to listen to an Aleph 30 but I had always believed that the Aleph 3 was the best, better than the rest. :)

Honestly, I would be very reluctant to part with my Aleph 3, but quoting Nelson Pass, he believes that the Aleph J is the best Aleph yet.

Now, that's an interesting point. Nelson says he likes the Aleph 3 chassis best. (Presumably of the Alephs, but then again, with all the Thresholds, Fortes, Pass Alephs and Xs, not to mention other 'outside' contenders, there are a lot of possibilities.)
Fair enough.
So I sit back and try to decide what amp I like best, chassis-wise. I can come up with a relatively short list of candidates, but "best" is another matter entirely. I'm not sure which I would choose.
Something to ponder.

Grey

:bigeyes: In your respected opinion, Mr. Pass, is the chassis of the Aleph 3 the only thing that you feel is better than the Aleph J?

Is there any chance of sharing what you feel about the sound of the Aleph J? I do not think that I would ever have a chance here to listen to one, at least not in the near future. :bawling:

Is it true that the Aleph 3 and the Aleph 30 are the same amp except for it's chassis?

Blues, thanks for the info. My sincere apologies if I am being a pest but I am really very new into this hi-fi thingy. What's your opinion with the differences of the Aleph3 and the Aleph 30? In your opinion, what would all the differences add up to?

I love the Aleph 3 for it's rich texture plus a whole lot of other things. After the Aleph 3, I find it very difficult to return to any other solid state amp. This is my opinion or should I say preference, not meaning to insult anyone else. I believe that rich texture comes from the higher bias. Am I right?

Aleph 3 Owners Club

(my opinion)

the differences between the Aleph 3, Aleph 30, and Aleph J are
subtle i'm sure. The Aleph J being a more "radical" change than
the one made between the Aleph 3 and Aleph 30.

I would say the Aleph 30 is more refined, due to the changes
mentioned in the post by Blues.

The Aleph J brings in a new twist - would have to listen to it to
make a comment.

My post was just lauding the original Aleph 3 - it's great looks,
and great sound.

I don't think you'll see that chasis used again in the Aleph series.
It was expensive to make, people whined about it's ergonomics,
and it just looked to cool for even the average joe hi-fi nut : )

So if you can find one, grab it!

(and then purchase an Aleph J for comparison purposes) :)

m. <---- Aleph 3 Owner

(can't wait to DIY a J) :devilr:

Re: Aleph 3 Owners Club

safetyman said:
What's your opinion with the differences of the Aleph3 and the Aleph 30? In your opinion, what would all the differences add up to?

I believe that rich texture comes from the higher bias. Am I right?

I'll find out pretty soon:) I believe so too plus the lesser parts involved.

moe29 said:
(my opinion)

It was expensive to make, people whined about it's ergonomics,
and it just looked to cool for even the average joe hi-fi nut : )

(can't wait to DIY a J) :devilr:

Expensive?...probably a tenth of an XA chassis, right Mr. Pass?:) The people whining pollutes the music...sit down, relax and listen.

Can't wait too.

Tony, Mr. Pass loves particle physics...Aleph, SuperSymmetry...He has not answered were he stands re Einstein's theory, Quantum Mechanics or String Theory...in one post I made that I think he missed.

The sound of an Aleph comes from many things. Bias is one of them, it's true; having class A in your pocket renders questions of turning gain devices on and off moot. However, don't overlook the two stages (as opposed to 3 or a dozen...) and power supply contributions, etc. Single-ended operation should be high on the list, as well.
In other words, it's not just one thing. You can't compare Alephs directly with 'normal' amps because everything is different. Yes, you put music in and music comes out--that much they have in common--but when you get down to comparing the sonics, you're going to have quite a list of differences to think about.

Grey

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
safetyman said:
:bigeyes: In your respected opinion, Mr. Pass, is the chassis of the Aleph 3 the only thing that you feel is better than the Aleph J?

Is there any chance of sharing what you feel about the sound of the Aleph J? I do not think that I would ever have a chance here to listen to one, at least not in the near future. :bawling:

Is it true that the Aleph 3 and the Aleph 30 are the same amp except for it's chassis?

1) The current source gain settings were higher on the 3 and 30
which gave them more power into 4 ohms.

2) If you have my personal taste and listen to the music I do with
the speakers I have (and so on) you will prefer the J. The others
(so far) who have had the opportunity to compare it with the 3
and 30 have shared this conclusion, although sometimes for
different reasons. The J is interesting because it achieves much
the same kind of numerical performance with much less feedback,
giving what I perceive as a more relaxed and natural sound.

3) There are actual circuit differences between the 3 and 30, the
most obvious being the larger output stage and the higher SE
input impedance.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Aleph 3 Owners Club

Blues said:
Pass loves particle physics...Aleph, SuperSymmetry...He has not answered were he stands re Einstein's theory, Quantum Mechanics or String Theory...in one post I made that I think he missed.

I do have a degree in Physics, but my math is too poor to allow
me to do more than admire the work of others.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.