That's such a shame that there's no topic about wine here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bricolo, Zinfandel is a very popular variety in California. The best producers will be difficult to find in France, but see if you can spot anything from Ridge, Ravenswood, Raffanelli, Dashe (my favorite), Unti, Gary Farrell, or Sierra Vista. Zins tend to be quite big and alcoholic, too much so for my tastes.

These are the ones that I like

I am terrible with names, so I try to keep the bottles of wines that I like.

Yes down under means the land of oz, and it was in a Melbourne suburban town I tried the cricket bat for the very first time in my life. Boy that was a heavy bat even at the time I was 17. The same vacation there that I saw The Deep first run. At the time I could not understand why the whole cinema applauded when Jacqueline Besset shot an native indian in the boat. I thought that was such an easy shot, no big deal why the fuss:D

The Butcher:D

Attachments

• p3010014.jpg
    p3010014.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 107
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you would like to try some ausie reds then barossa Valley, Margaret river and yarra valley would all be good regions to sample wines from. Not sure about the reds from the hunter. valley (I think but may be wrong, that they do more whites).

I'm kind of partial to Basdow (from the barossa) shiraz if you like that style. There are some very nice cab savs too, but can't think of any off the top of my head. My new GF doesn't drink, so I haven't been having wine very often lately.

If you want to try a nice white from New Zealand look for Cloudy Bay...

Tony.

edit: as with anything price and quality varies widely, you can get as cheap as about $5 /bottle ranging up to probably $200+ but generally anything in the $13 to $30 price range is not too bad ;) some are much better value than others though.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SY said:
Bricolo, Zinfandel is a very popular variety in California.....Zins tend to be quite big and alcoholic....

Crusade to crown Zinfandel California's official wine

In a related development, efforts are underway to name sweet Concord the official wine of Brooklyn.

And I'll take a robust, semidry Catawba or Concord over most anything else. Viva Labrusca! :D

Problem is twofold- the great internationalization of the market (more competition) and the tendency of far too many French winemakers to try to make more "internationally styled" wines, ignoring the distinctiveness of their terroirs. It bothers me to open bottles with great appellations on their labels and find totally anonymous wines inside. A tasting of top Bordeaux from 2000 was a depressing experience for me; I don't think I could have distinguished any of them from Argentinian cabernets and merlots. Big, alcoholic, oaky, fruit-forward. That's fine in a $5 Aussie, terrible in a $400 Margaux.

And almost all my favorite Rhones have either sold out to big conglomerates or changed their style as the parents retired and the kids took over.

That reminds me.....

.......I was going to attempt to become a wino, so started collecting wine about 5 years ago. Mostly cab-sav's, usually of Aussie orign. I just like them. If forced to buy any.

I'm not big on wine, having drunk too much 'Cellar Cask Reserve' as a teen (hint: comes in a bag, in a box)..and suffered abysmal hangovers. So, I've got these 100 or so bottles that have been aging for between 3-5 years now, all were in the $20 range when uhm..'fresh'. Oh yeah, near hyper-acidity issues, in my metabolism, so wine..basically..eats away my stomach lining. Or feels like it is.

Now, I don't know what to do with them! and, according to what I know..their time is getting close, for many of them.

Now, I have to figure out how to become a wino..all over again.

I'm not amused. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.