TH vs MLTL - AE18H+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Has anyone experience with tapped horns and transmission lines?
is there any reason why the sound quality of a TH should supersede that of the TL? The Tapped horn design in the pictures is just an example...though I haven't been able to improve upon this design, has no bearing on whether or it is possible to achieve, with a more knowledgeable designer.

Any thoughts?

(not going to change drivers fyi)

Attachments

• MlTlvsTappedPT1.jpg
    MlTlvsTappedPT1.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 675
  • MlTlvsTappedPT2.jpg
    MlTlvsTappedPT2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 680
I don't really have anyone to guide through the tapped horn experience
I'm just a guy twisiting numbers to try get a response, so take the designs with a grain of salt. I'm sure someone else can do better.....actually be my guess...lol

Box has to 32" wide and about the same in dept.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IsThisAtAppedHorn.jpg
    IsThisAtAppedHorn.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 355
If you got the space and you want a very high sound quality from your drivers.

Martinsson's Blog - ROAR18

See the original ROAR18 as an example for layout and design.
The simulation below is a larger version more optimized for your driver and a slightly lower downward response.

The plane loading of the front resonator and the splith path loading of the driver increases the ability to create very steep shock waves and enables a very high resolution of all the real life textures, timbre and modulations of the bass.

Attachments

• 37HZ-ROAR.jpg
    37HZ-ROAR.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 111
If you got the space and you want a very high sound quality from your drivers.

Martinsson's Blog - ROAR18

See the original ROAR18 as an example for layout and design.
The simulation below is a larger version more optimized for your driver and a slightly lower downward response.

The plane loading of the front resonator and the splith path loading of the driver increases the ability to create very steep shock waves and enables a very high resolution of all the real life textures, timbre and modulations of the bass.

OMG!

attachment.php

This is response that I got from the MLTL that I like, the peak at the knee is only 1db (94db to 93db back to 94db) ...91db at 20hz...1 watt...I'm trying to create the best TH to maintain that extension and a decent sensitivity

Attachments

• CampMLTL.jpg
    CampMLTL.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 398
Should I be so in love with the Tapped horn as a subwoofer enclosure that I abandon my MLTL and potentially loose sensitivity for what what TH has to offer in the bandwidth that I desire? Does that question make sense?

I feel like the TH provides awesome assistance to the woofer diaphragm, which I might need in my case with my 18" wind sail but most of the levels in intended use are at 1-2mm of xmax in either enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.