Testing 2-way vs 2.5-way vs 3-way IMD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But having the woofers above and below mids and tweet will this not have the same effect plus the advantage to smooth out floor-ceiling coupling?
I'm not quite sure what you mean and I don't think I was very clear anyway. The Elsinore is an MTM speaker where the CTC will be higher than a MT design. But if you copied the layout and had the mid over the tweeter and woofers below it would reduce CTC and smooth the floor bounce.

They will be angled 7deg back to get the tweeter on axis.
You've aware of the compromise so I shall say no more :)

I think Rod is wrong and Doppler distortion is real. There is a small German active speaker with Doppler distortion compensation using a phase modulator and it seems to work nicely.

His assumption that the cone only pushes air and doesn't move through the media might be correct for the nearfield. If you are several times the cone diameter away the movement of the air molecules is much less than the cone travel at low frequencies and therefore turning the cone into a moving sound-source.
I agree with him that the result is some kind of IMD. I also agree with him that at least a part of a speakers IMD is caused by AM effects but not exclusively.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.