Test LP group buy

New to this. No time or intention to read the entire thread.

Years ago I toyed with the idea of making my own test LP, being totally dissatisfied with all modern releases (centering, accuracy of signals, usefulness of signals). I gave when I understood how hard it would be to, remotely, control the final quality, Oh well.

Just a few considerations:

1) How do you ensure that the intended test signals can be cut and pressed at all? How do you ensure that the mastering house does not interfere, knowingly or unknowingly?

2) How about cutter VTA? This must be in line with the VTA of commercial releases, and known. Is there a VTA setup test signal?

3) Did you consider a test for dynamic drag? A regular 3150 W&F tone, with on top of it pink noise keyed on and off at a level and rhythm commensurate with music.

Good luck.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Werner,
Did you consider a test for dynamic drag? A regular 3150 W&F tone, with on top of it pink noise keyed on and off at a level and rhythm commensurate with music.
The extra noise will confuse the PLL in the W&F meter. It might work with different levels of 3150 Hz, that I don't know. I have seen service shops put a box on a turntable they were testing to generate drag from windage. You could measure the speed with no box compared to the speed with the box mounted. All we need to do now if define a standard box for weight and area. Then we can calibrate them and sell tha twill the record. :clown:

-Chris