Tent xo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if this seems like old ground, but a search didn't help me much. I am looking to improve the clock of my cd63 ki-s and was wondering if implementing the tentlabs xo was as straightforward as following the circuit diagram on their website( i.e. building the suggested power supply and using the xo crystal module).
Would this be a better mod than the trichord clock2 which is available for a reasonable sounding 50 quid? Can the xo module be used on its own to replace the standard crystal running off the existing supply?:confused:

Thanks in advance

If I am not wrong.........the XO (by itself) costs on 29 Euros, which I am sure is a lot less than 50 quid. I would only use the existing supply as a pre-regulator, as in order to get the most out of any clock, it must be fed with a low noise supply.

Very low noise.

Other than that, yes, it is straightforward. I would not put its output into a filter chip, as that will degrade its performance. Rather, I would opt for a scheme that takes the output of the clock, and feed it (through build-out resistors) to all the places that need it. The DAC in an o/s set-up is the most critical.

Jocko

I have used clock 2 and it is good.... Trichord uses a far cruder PSU then the cct suggested by Guido. Trichord I think buffers their oscillator output and there are opposing views on the merits of it. If you are lazy and want to solder a few wires only, use the Trichord, if you are more macho, get an XO.... Real macho guys will tell you to build a Kwak Clock using the existing Xtal.

My guess is that the XO and Kwak are better then the Trichord clock 2 but will take more effort on your part.

Whatever you do, I would recommend a separate transformer and crude DC supply to drive whatever clock you use. Makes a big improvement on the Trichord ime.

I'm so lazy I cant be bothered to finish this sent.....:D :D :D

Seriously tho I am a bit of a novice, and I gather the kwak clock requires some knowledge and testing gear.
If I can build a power supply I can test it with my multimeter, but much beyond that and I could end up out of my depth. If opinion is that the tent xo kicks the trichord's butt then I think I would give it a go; I just want to have a clear idea of what I need to do.

My worry is that if I make something that doesn't work I may not have a clue how to fix it :rolleyes:

float said:
I'm so lazy I cant be bothered to finish this sent.....:D :D :D

Seriously tho I am a bit of a novice, and I gather the kwak clock requires some knowledge and testing gear.
If I can build a power supply I can test it with my multimeter, but much beyond that and I could end up out of my depth. If opinion is that the tent xo kicks the trichord's butt then I think I would give it a go; I just want to have a clear idea of what I need to do.

My worry is that if I make something that doesn't work I may not have a clue how to fix it :rolleyes:

For a start you'll need this,
http://www.alw.audio.dsl.pipex.com/Downloads/CD43_53_63_Service_Manual.pdf

and something like this
http://www.net-audio.co.uk/clockfit.html

Put back four or so components and you are back where started should the clock mod fail to please.

Thanks Rfbrw, thems good links :)
I've read that the ALW superregs are extremely good; could one of these power a tent xo and be about as good as it gets? It almost seems that the power supply for the clock is as important as the clock itself.
I'm just hoping good solutions can be simple :xeye:

Clocko Jocko...........rev #......?

Looks like this is one of the later versions that output a sine wave.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=76884#post76884

Somewhere there is a version that outputs a square wave. R7 is lower.......C6 is removed (used to lower harmonic content...........not needed if you are making a square wave!), and it connects directly to Q3, without the bias divder. Output of Q3 can drive a 'HCU04 set up for a gain of 10.

Yes, ALW's reg would work nicely. Yes, the supply is just as important.

As for simple.........if you don't have to understand how it works, and why Q2 looks odd.........just build it. You can take the crystal of your CDP and use it. No need to buy a special one. (That was the main impetus of that design.)

There is also a link about a simple clock distribution scheme.........maybe I can find it and the later clock schematic.

Edit:

Found the link..........here it is

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=275730#post275730

Jocko

float said:
Thanks Rfbrw, thems good links :)
I've read that the ALW superregs are extremely good; could one of these power a tent xo and be about as good as it gets? It almost seems that the power supply for the clock is as important as the clock itself.
I'm just hoping good solutions can be simple :xeye:

After a certain point it probably becomes a matter personal preference. The ALW superreg does it for some , the Jung superreg for some and shunt regs for others.

Thanks for the heads-up Jocko, but you are so far ahead of me in this game that you may as well be speaking chinese:D
I'm aware of my limits at the moment; I can populate a board or hardwire a little circuit on veroboard, but I cant make my own PCB's and to be honest most of those linked posts were well over my head.:(
However, the willingness to experiment is inspiring....I must make a decision and buy some bits......tomorrow ;)

You can handwire one on a piece of perf board. As long as the leads aren't too long, and you use a decent bypass cap, it will work. Doesn't need any exotic parts.............a decent high gain audio transistor will work.

How do you think that the first one(s) were made???? You don't have to etch your own board. If you look at the pictures on the second link, you will see where I made one the hard way.

Works just as good today as the day I built it.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.