Telefunken TLX3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am now the owner of a couple of speakers from Telefunken, TLX1 TLX2/4 TLX3....

One of the mid range on my TLX3 died, easy enough to find a big Elektro bipolar cap died. Thinking to recap all of it....

Electrolytic can be replaced by electrolytic well for most of them I can find the same nominal values and I guess they will be closer to their real value than the old ones...

The troubles are 100V 1.8uF and the 1uF 100V, that's where I'd like a second opinion...

I could use 2x3.3uF Plastic in series to make a 1.65uF ... might be close enough...

For the 1uF there is a lot of choice ! Plastic Polko, ceramic, Electrol ...

I'd like to keep the design clean and use axial components...

Other than that I have to give a big thumb up to Telefunken TLX series, even the TLX 1 are good to listen, the TLX2 are great, the TLX3 are out there in their greatness.

The TLX3 have a really nice and flat response all over the range, which is what I am looking for.

OK here's the reply ...

Changed both 22µF and 47µF caps ... on the one with a bad mid range ... It sounds great !!! I mean fantastic, try Massive attack Angel and Teardrop and it won't break a sweat with the over drive lamps blinking !!!

Now the good speaker sound like trash compared to the rebuilt one ... Changing the same caps killed a weak resistor, some idiot tried to change some caps by a lower voltage one 35VAC < 100VAC !!!! of course I drove the hell out of it to try the other :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.