• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Telefunken smooth vs.ribbed plate 12AX7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RE 604 said:
Hello ,
I have more than 100 TFK ECC 83 www.alextubefotos.gmxhome.de

If these are genuine (many fakes), may I suggest that you sell them - because at $50+ each you could make a lot of money. One place to go could be http://partsconnexion.com/ MIGHT be a good place to do the complete sale, but then again I would expect Germany to be as good a market as any for these.

I have owned NOS Tele 12AX7 SP with diamonds and gold plated pins but decided that for me it was more worthwhile to go to other interesting units such as 6H30P etc. for my DIY work.

Petter

Hello Petter ,
no , I don`t sell tubes . I am a little bit with my tubes like Dagobert Duck with his money .
I collect now more than 20 years , mostly european tubes for professional use and old triodes ( see my homepage ) , many of them I need for this old german studio equipment ( EF 804 , F2a11 , E84L and so on ) to restore this units , which I collect also .
I find the prices now totaly crazy , I never paid more than 50 cent -1 Euro for a small tube and 25 Euro for example for a RE 604 from TFK .
But this was many years ago , times are changing .
Perhaps I am crazy , but it is like it is .
Greetings from Germany , Alex .

www.alextubefotos.gmxhome.de

RE 604 said:
Hello Petter ,
no , I don`t sell tubes . I am a little bit with my tubes like Dagobert Duck with his money .
I collect now more than 20 years , mostly european tubes for professional use and old triodes ( see my homepage ) , many of them I need for this old german studio equipment ( EF 804 , F2a11 , E84L and so on ) to restore this units , which I collect also .
I find the prices now totaly crazy , I never paid more than 50 cent -1 Euro for a small tube and 25 Euro for example for a RE 604 from TFK .
But this was many years ago , times are changing .
Perhaps I am crazy , but it is like it is .
Greetings from Germany , Alex .

www.alextubefotos.gmxhome.de

It's hard to say, I bought a case of GEC KT66 (NOS, 20pcs) for ~USD300 20 years ago (from a tube retail store...) But now, won't happen again... Like the houses, it doubles the price in couple yeasrs in my area, it's really crazy...

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Tell me about it...only seven years ago I was still selling premium quality ECCs for 3$ a piece when bought at 100+ quantities.

Tubes are one of the best investments ever nowadays provided you know your stuff.

Cheers,;)

Will you sell your premium ECC for $3 each now? May be you still can buy some nice NOS tube at a decent price occasionally, but really hard... Most the old stock tubes are used, less and less are really "NOS"...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Will you sell your premium ECC for $3 each now?

You can't even buy them factory direct at 3$ a piece nowadays unless you go for the 10K+ breakpoints.

I really don't want to unveil trade principles here...maybe I'm missing your point.

Most the old stock tubes are used, less and less are really "NOS"...

Yes that's what I said, and if you really want to feel down most are declassified governamental tubes but how's that going to make anyone feel any better?

If you know what dealers know, just keep it to yourself, please.

So what's your point here?

Cheers,;)

No point at all, just agree with RE 604, prices are crazy now... 25 euro for a TFK RE 604, I do want couple... (see, I'm not greedy at all...)
Just sold a pair of Kenrad VT-231 (NOS, black bottle) for USD 100... better price than sell them couple years ago (In my memory, I only sold for ~USD 60/pair 4 years ago) Right now, some online store even sell them for $130 to $150/pair... but not the same for RCA 5692 red base, price never goes up!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hehe... sounds worse than some famous 6SN7 in most cases

There you have it, that is what defines asking price...

Mind you, as far as the 12AX7As are concerned there are still tons of nuggets around...

I mentioned a tubetester before but a decent library on tubes is just as important for "nugget" chasing.

Cheers,

TF 12ax7 and 12au7

On the subject of Telefunken, I must share my experience the other day. I am a newbie to the tube world but knew enough to get a hard-on when the following situation occured 2 days ago.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an old Conn organ and pulled the amp out of it. It runs 2 GE6l6GB's (one of which I broke and had to get another set off ebay.) The tone generators included 54 12au7's, all american made. Well my wife was not at all amused by the idea of me bringing home another organ, but when I heard this kid plug in an old Estey at the same thrift store, I was blown away by its sound. I asked the man at the counter if I could purchase the organ, pull out the guts and have him discard the rest. He obliged. I popped the back off the organ to see if it was worth my efforts (the place closed in 20 minutes and I had to hit an ATM and rip the unit apart.) What I found made me wet myself. The amp had 3 12ax7's and 2 12au7's. It's power tubes were el84's (G.E.) and the tone generator had 20 12ax7's and 5 12au7's. ALL 12au7's and 12AX7's were TELEFUNKEN (save one Baldwin tube)

I ended up with 7 Telefunken 12au7 smooth plates, 3 Telefunken 12ax7 smooth plates and 19 Telefunken 12ax7 ribbed plates. almost all of the labels on the tubes are perfect, all tested great for emissions with no leakage and a reading of 90-95 on my mighty-might Sencore VII.

My total cost was 40$ (plus tax)

Ripping it appart in such short time was a small undertaking, but it was well worth it!

you're right

you are right. The organ had already sat for several months with its price reduced. I should have let it sit for a couple more months before it was sold to an elderly couple to be played twice a year. Then those tubes and the amp could collect more dust! It must sicken you that the amplifier is now used every day. It is well maintained, and all of the tubes will be used by people who appreciate them.

Owsley,

Don't let anyone drag you down. If you can breathe new life into old parts by reusing them for audio, that's a noble enough cause. Think of it as an "organ" transplant. Sorry...

Did you salvage the iron too? I often strip old boat anchors for magnetics and tubes. Usually however I let ancient caps and resistors slip into the dust bin.

Recently I acquired a couple of trailers worth of boat anchors - ancient test equipment and radio gear used for the MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System) program. These are no longer practical for any service other than as parts donors. One-by-one I am "digesting" them for parts for future audio projects. I have built a sizable collection of lovely power transformers and chokes by disemboweling boat anchors through the years. Magnetics like these are often the most expensive part of a tube project, so salvaging makes sense.

Good luck with your tube projects and keep us posted on what you do.

The Iron

Sorry, I'm just learning tube audio terms. Iron meaning the chokes and transformers? Yes, I have a sleu of them. And thanks for the encouragement. I also know a woman who owns a second hand store in the area. She sold a Hammond M2 to a kid who worked next store. When the business he worked for went under, he left the organ outside where it has set for at least a year. The speaker and tubes had been removed, but I took the amp out of it yesterday. I figure something has got to be reusable on it even though it has sat through a winter outside. We'll see...

jumping mica?

I read from one of the dejanews entries long time ago that in
the far east, people seem to think that "...For TFK 12AX7, the best version is the ribbed plated with small logo and "jumping mica"...".
Anyone know what the author meant by "jumping mica" and how it looks like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.