Telefunken OB

Mine are and they get to the low 30's :) I use them cut at about 70hz 24db, so sub duty only. Cut in much higher and to me they smear everything as basically you have vocals and such singing from inside an inset box, not good imo. H-Frames as subs with the right woofer equals nice realistic and satisfying lows, but crossing higher up in hz to mate with a small fullranger etc, blah..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@giants; "I guessed the dimensions and made some modifications" So I spose a drawing set to build from will never be available. Anyway, I find it amazing that good sound can be obtained from these "what could be simpler" designs -

I'm working on having rear 20 X 20 x 16" tunnels for my OB's assist woofers. I heard you need to cross well before that baby starts to resonate (300Hz), sounds consistent with what's been said here.

A quick update, I installed 4 Coral Holey's as an array in the open baffles. My amplification is a new Decware SE84CKC. First I hooked up 2 speakers in serial, the sound improved over the single driver setup. It played louder, improved sound stage and slightly better bass. Sounded richer and more effortless.

Next, the 4 Coral's in an array, wired serial and parallel. My first impression is that it sounded slightly richer and slightly more effortless than the 2 drivers. Definitely an improvement. All type of music sounded good. I'm glad I gave this a try, might be time to get some plywood...

Will compare these OB's to a Spendor LS3 on a solid state amp next.
Did something similar but used 8” drivers and later horn loaded them. There is no dearth of bass or dynamics. My amp allows me to wire them to get 8 ohms or 2 ohms impedance. They play from an SE tube amp, 8 wpc.

It's cold and snowing in Brooklyn, NY, a great opportunity to start a new thread.

I recently built these Telefunken OB speakers inspired by Kevin @ glowinthedarkaudio.com. I think it's extremely kind of him to be sharing his knowledge and experiences. Inshort Kevin helped save me time and money. I just recently started on this diy speaker hobby and new to woodworking, and the reason I choose these OB speakers is that I don't have access to computer programs that are needed to built closed or vented enclosures. I also wanted a challenge in woodworking instead of just using a broad as an OB.

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but does anyone have plans with measurements for these? I have some Fostex and Lii Audio drives and wanted to see if I can find a woodworker in Brooklyn to build these for me.