technics sl-p8 80s cd plaer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi to all, i have just moved into a new house and upon searching the garage my girlfriend found a box, which she was about to throw in the skip-when she cried-this thing is heavy can you give me a hand. so me being me i wanted to know what was inside, and there it was! a technics cd player model SL-P8!!!!

anyway did some google research and apparently its a early 80s player.
BUT it has a problem, probably from being in a damp garage and being 20 or so years old.
i have had the lid off and it will load a disc and read TOC but will only play original cds, not copied ones. but when it does read a disc it sounds like a scratched record?
there are some trim pots on the left side of the transport, which i adjusted and it worked great, but only with standard cds and it made a high pitched whirring noise, like it was struggling with every track.
i suspect that it would require some new caps but i think it definately needs a new laser.
i took the transport apart as much as i could, cleaned and re-greased but still the same.

i know that it is unlikley that i could source an original technics laser but was wondering if equilvilent or oem lasers were easy to get hold of?
anyone got any suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.