Technics SB-K43

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey. I'm new to the forum and am looking to, rather than building from scratch, replace the drivers from an old two piece Technics SB-K43 3way speaker system. All of the drivers are either ripped and/or dented but the cabinets themselves are in good shape. I took down all the info I could find about the speakers but that still wasn't too much:

impedence: 8 ohm
input power: 90w, music, 60w, DIN(I'm not sure what DIN means)
output sound pressure level: 95 db/w(at1,0m)

I was unable to find more information out about them and they aren't on the vintage technics site. If anyone knows anything else about them please feel free to chime in.

Anyway, based on the situation, would it make more sense to buy new crossovers and new drivers to change the setup completely or would it make sense to use the crossovers that are inside the speakers already. In either case, which drivers would you recommend? I'm trying to keep things pretty cheap but I don't want really bad sound quality either. Thanks in advance.

ps: Please excuse any mistakes in technical lingo as I'm still learning and please correct me if I'm wrong to make the learning process a little easier for me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

You've lost me on the two piece description unless you mean a pair.
TBH your best bet is patching up the drivers with wood glue
and putting the grilles back on and leaving them at that.
You cannot reuse the (likely minimal) crossover with other drivers.

If the cabinets are excellent quality then :

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm

I'd suggest possibly an additional new front baffle.

:)/sreten.

Thanks for the quick response.

You've lost me on the two piece description unless you mean a pair.

Yea, I meant a pair. Sorry about that.

TBH your best bet is patching up the drivers with wood glue
and putting the grilles back on and leaving them at that.
You cannot reuse the (likely minimal) crossover with other drivers.

There's only really a noticable rip in one of the largest drivers(most likely 10 inch).
Would wood glue be the best thing to use on this? There isn't anything that would be better for the cone?

The middle speakers are both completely intact it seems except that the drivers aren't connected to the metal surrounding (is that what a baffle is?) Would a kit like this one be a good option for the middle speakers?

Dust caps are dented on a number of the drivers but I read that this will not affect the sound. Is this true or are they worth replacing?

I'll be doing some extremely minimal testing hopefully soon just using an old technics stereo to see how the sound is now. Thanks for the help.

I have a set of these. I am tring to sell them for 15 dollars for the set. the midranges on mine started to get thin also. but I used glue around them to keep them from falling apart anymore. they both were starting to look like they were starting to crack around the outside. the tweeters are good and so are the woofers. what start are you in?

he said about using wood glue. wood glue will leave them yellow. I used white glue that dries clear. I had some left over from a kit that I had to replace surrounds on another set of speakers. I had enough glue I used it on a few things. to me it looks like reg elmers glue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.