Technics CD Player - locating I2S signals for DAC upgrade ?

Dear all,

my father has an ancient, fully functioning Technics SL-PG100 CD Player.
Technics SL-PG100 CD Players

We would like to upgrade the thing a bit, trying some other DACs, because the sound of the player is horrible (despite good reviews on the internet we simply don't like the sound). We listened to the same CDs on the same chain with my Mitsubishi M-C5100 (2x Burr Brown PCM56P) and the difference was like :eek::eek::eek:

But my father insists on keeping his Technics due to functions, emotions, don't know the real reasons, except that he'd like to upgrade the DAC part now.

I told him about I2S and I think we could use tons of great DACs if we could feed them with the player's I2S signals coming from the transport.

I found a basic DAC-related schematics of the Technics, here it is: MN66271 Datasheet(PDF) - Panasonic Semiconductor

From that it's not sure for me where I can locate the I2S input signals going into the DAC. Or maybe I should look elsewhere within the player and try to steal the I2S signals from there ?

The first we would try is this one for example: AKM AK4495EQ DAC Module Board I2S 32bit 384khz 2x L7805CV Regulators

Would you be so kind helping me figuring out what to connect with which corresponding side, if possible electrically at all ? (Without conversion).

Based on the linked datasheet above for the Technics, I see following:

AKM DAC left, TECHNICS (PANA MN66271) right
-------------------------------------------
MCLK <- ?
FSCLK <- ?
BCLK <- Pin1 BCLK (SRDATA bit clock output)
DATA <- Pin3 SRDATA (Serial data output)

The missing parts I need to figure out still + the 2 other findings to be validated ..
What do you think, can it work somehow to get "standard" I2S out of the player and feed this DAC board with that ? :confused:

there is a high chance of wrong data format ... it seems that an EIAJ format is used in this player ... maybe you will end up with an additional converter from EIAJ to I2S (not opposite) :D

someone tried? idk if successful:
HIFIDIY??-EIAJ???I2S?? - Powered by Discuz!

Attachments

• eiaj.jpg
    eiaj.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
there is a high chance of wrong data format ... it seems that an EIAJ format is used in this player ... maybe you will end up with an additional converter from EIAJ to I2S (not opposite) :D

someone tried? idk if successful:
HIFIDIY??-EIAJ???I2S?? - Powered by Discuz!

Yes this is what I recalled many Jap cdp's seems to be using EIAJ protocol wonder why. Think those using I2S were the ones with Philips TDA dac.

I've managed to insert TwistedPear COD dac with IVY III I/V convertor, including new clock from Tentlabs (16.9344 MHz). In this way I have balanced outputs also... And yes these MN chips outputs EIAJ format which COD dac (PCM1794A) supports directly, no need for conversion. But recently I've had some transport problem, ie skipping problem of reading CDs from half to the end...