TDA1543 PCB design quest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Doede:
Please forgive me for all the above silly comments wich were intended to force you to post the pics that you just posted :angel: :angel: ;)

VERY impressive modules! I didn't expect less than that:)

Do we need a fan?
Appart, do I need to ground my heatsinks on the DDDAC MK I?

I will publish soon any way, so it won't harm to much if I show a quick peek

No danger from my side. I only follow instructions an make guesses :(

Could you comment briefly the sound of your project?
We, humans, live of hope :) as you may know.

Best wishes and excuses to Lukas for this diversion from the original topic :angel:

Mauricio

maxlorenz said:

I see your point very clearly. Thanks. The way to go maybe is 4 regs, each one for each DAC tower. I planned to use a battery. I already use a 34Ah one: +/- 17 hrs of music for 16*DAC.
Anyway I was hoping that Doede solved this problem for us :yawn:

you mean he magically found a way to run 60 DACs on 1 amp? :)

I've been looking into Optima car batteries, but they don't seem to deliver as much playing time per dollar as some wheel chair batteries. I'm considering to build a dual 72ah battery box, where I can toggle batteries, so one gets charged while the other one is playing. That way I can keep the charging circuit contained with the batteries and have just one cable, the battery output, go to the DAC. Two 72ah batteries and a 3amp auto charger should keep things going without too many interruptions in long listening sessions.

maxlorenz said:

You maybe use heatsink for the tower itself. Do you ground your heatsink?

I did in my 8way DDDAC, but not in the 16way unit. I don't even ground the chassis everything is inside of. Never heard anything bad so I didn't bother trying it grounded. My DAC heat sink is connected to the chassis, so if I did ground the chassis, the heat sink would be grounded, too. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

maxlorenz said:

Do we need a fan?
Appart, do I need to ground my heatsinks on the DDDAC MK I?

Based on the heat generated by my 16 chip tower, I think the 12 units connected to the two large heat sinks seen on his module will be just fine. The heat sink on the regulator has me worried a little more, since in my DAC that part clearly is the place where most of the battery power is dissipated. Running just 12 chips off one regulator will keep things in check though. I definitely wouldn't put 5 of these boards into a totally sealed enclosure...

and... the postman dropped a note in my mailbox yesterday - there's a package from a certain "D Douma" waiting for me at the post office to be picked up tonight :santa:

Peter

:hot: CAUTION :hot:

The grounding of the chassis has nothing to do with sound, it is to save your life. Everything that someone can touch and could get connected to the mains live wire must be grounded, because theoretically your chassis can carry mains voltage, and what is theoretically possible, and not good, will happen, according to murphy. So, I dont know if you have children or something else that you worship, but if so, please just ground the chassis.

Besides that, that chassis looks nifty!

edit: It's about the LM317, right? The "flange" (or how is it called) of the TO 220 case holds Vout, so it would be a bad idea to ground it. And that chassis grounding is earthing, circuit ground is not of interest here, so connecting to mains earth. HTH.

12 Cents said:
:hot: CAUTION :hot:

The grounding of the chassis has nothing to do with sound, it is to save your life. Everything that someone can touch and could get connected to the mains live wire must be grounded,

calm - DAC runs off a battery. There's no connection to the wall anywhere in the unit and the battery charger is remote, with a 13V DC output.

maxlorenz said:

You, lucky *** :D :D
If it is what I think you must keep us updated :mad:

Good luck
M

it's better than what you think, and no, it's not one of these new DAC modules, but a cool "add-on" that the original DDDAC didn't have. I'll have to try it with my first-gen after I study how the thing needs to get hooked into the original board, but hey, life could be treating me worse.

Peter

Ooops!
This perhaps:
With a USB to I2S converter (next prototype which is ready) a next big step is made (SPDIF clearly is a limitation !)

I dont' need it for now.
Instead I want to try getting rid of the 100nF Wima's on the digital input, as my transport has Tx output. Unless this action favors reflections.

Appart that, what do you guys use as digital hookup wire?

Regards
Mauricio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.