TDA1387 x8 HAT Output configuration

I built the ProtoDAC. Everything assembled fine using a 65watt power supply, PurePi II, RPi5 8Gig. I have a question or two about implementation. It seems that I bought a RPi5 and Mo0de doesn't yet support it. I would feel bad posting this question on the Mo0de site. Picoreplayer and Volumio don't have an output selection for the Protodac. I have gotten the DAC to play using pCP using RPi driver. But the output is very slow like playing a 45RPM record at 33RPM. Any insight you anyone might have with the output configuration would be helpful.

Anything like using from the RPi DAC or Orchard Audio PecanPi DAC that lets me set the path to the card hardware
  • hw:CARD=sndrpirpidac,DEV=0
  • plughw:CARD=sndrpirpidac,DEV=0
Seems to work the same but slow. The rest of the choices all want to use the HDMI port and fail to run the player.
The only other setting is "ALSA setting 80 4 _ 1 _" which is the default setting.

I do have a scope and will check the pins on the TDA1387. But if it is the clock timing which I think has a good shot at being the problem, do I change it?

If I connect a USB DAC (Topping D10) to the RPi playback is fine.

Tim is working on Moode for the Raspberry 5. I am using Pre5 on mine with the ProtoDAC. You can download it from the moodeaudio.org forum. Look for the bookworm thread in the support section.
I have a separate SD card for Moode testing. I will read through the Bookworm thread and see if I can figure out how to install Bookworm Lite and then run the Pre5 testing software.

You can just download the ISO image and install it. See post #172 in the "Upcoming moOde 9.0.0 (Bookworm)" thread.
https://moodeaudio.org/test/image_2024-0...4-lite.zip

I can't get to the zip file above But I will go through process in the post to install the Moode test version. Pending that I would still like to know if Moode and I guess Roopieee are the only Pi software I have run across that support the DAC I built. Thank you very much for the help you have already given.

I want to thank everyone that helped on this question. I ultimately found out that the DAC worked fine. But needs a specific setup that only works with the correct I2S DAC drivers. I did not find anything that worked completely except moOde. And that meant that with the Pi5 I could only use the current pre-beta version. I bought a Pi4 and it works with the current release of moOde. I may try to see if Volumio will work using some form of generic I2S driver. At least I know my hardware/soldering works. I do really like how the system sounds however.