TDA 8920

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can a varying switching frequency improve distortion? I always thought the higher the frequency the better as long as everything is stable.

For instance, Class D at 200khz vs a tripath that varies from say 50khz - 400khz. Sure, I will agree that the tripath can provide lower distortion. But not lower than a class D at a static 400khz. Am I missing something important?

Do they provide samples for the tripath chips? if they are cheap enough it might be worth experimenting. The eval boards are 250-300 dollars...too much for me. The integrated solutions look really easy to work with though. I might possibly consider their use in the subwoofer section of a cheapish computer speaker setup I am going to build or for my home theater sub.

I would not be willing to use them for quite a while with music though.

The class D IC's i've seen look a lot more complicated to implement for the DIYer.

Another thing I have heard is that the high switching frequencies interfere with your radio reception. So those of you living far away from your favorite radio station might want to try something a bit more traditional. (this came up in a car audio forum where radio is more popular)

jt

I don't know exactly what makes Tripath and other class T amps so good, but apparently they're awesome. Variable switching is something that they have though. If I were you I'd listen to one just to make sure they're all they claim to be anyway before buying.

Yes, digital amps interfere with the radio, so the system has to be shielded.

Take a look at this thread on the Tripath. Tripath calls it a class T due to the variable switching nature of their design, varying from 100K to 1.5 MHz. Usual class D designs are fixed at 100 KHz.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1814

The module supplied from Tripath comes on a completely assembled board including a heat sink. You need to supply a power supply, chassis, and a 5 VDC bias voltage. Depending upon which model you choose, power supply voltages can range from +/- 40 to +/- 90 VDC, generating anywhere from 100 W/ch to almost 400 W/ch into 8 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.