TB W8-1772 in Spawn (or similar) horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Tried the search but couldn't find any concrete answer, so asking the question here.

I have a pair of Tang Band W8-1772 drivers and am really interested in building a large BLH type speaker. I have searched for available BLH design for this particular driver but there doesn't seem to be many out there. There is one from TB themselves that's published on their site but I can't find any feedback or experience on that design.

I came across the new Spawn family of horn and was very fascinated with the 'Kirishima' horn here - The Spawn Family of Double Horns

I understand that this has been designed for Fostex FE206En driver and one can't just swap out the Fostex with a TB here. However, I would like to ask the experts here if W8-1772 can be used in this horn with good results?

Also, I did notice that W8-1772 probably wont fit in the original 'Kirishima' design due to having a larger driver depth (~111mm). So my second question would be, if W8-1772 can be used, then can it be mounted with an extra baffle of say around 12mm to compensate for the driver size?

Is there any other similar large double horn design that you would recommend that has been proven to work with W8-1772?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Hi mubeen1983,

in Germany there is a shop with a lot of constructions for TB Speakers. For the W8-1772 i found 3 BL Designs:

I'm not sure if this is the TB Design:
Tang-Band-Horn-W8-1772
A detailed test was made in a german diy magazine (Klang und Ton, 01/2011).

Jericho - a well known BL Horn Design (in Germany) for different full range drivers:
Jericho-Deluxe-1772

Viech - also a well known BL Horn Design (in Germany) especially for low budget drivers, fc 70Hz:
Viech-Upgrade-1772

have fun

hello,
look my HP a lot of horns for the 1772,
SCHALMEI, SAXOPHON, RDH20, or: Horn, Posaune XL, trumpet

Attachments

• alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 498
  • RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 492
  • schalmei_riethweb4.jpg
    schalmei_riethweb4.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 528
  • poxlwolf2.jpg
    poxlwolf2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 484
  • oskarr2.jpg
    oskarr2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 481
Hi mubeen1983,

in Germany there is a shop with a lot of constructions for TB Speakers. For the W8-1772 i found 3 BL Designs:

I'm not sure if this is the TB Design:
Tang-Band-Horn-W8-1772
A detailed test was made in a german diy magazine (Klang und Ton, 01/2011).

Jericho - a well known BL Horn Design (in Germany) for different full range drivers:
Jericho-Deluxe-1772

Viech - also a well known BL Horn Design (in Germany) especially for low budget drivers, fc 70Hz:
Viech-Upgrade-1772

have fun

Hi falseawake,

Thanks fir sharing those. I have seen the first one, it turned up in google search when I was searching for BLH designs. I think it is the TB version as I have the plans for TB horn and its exactly same. This looks to be a good design but sadly I couldn't find any impressions or review of this horn. There may be some info somewhere on a German site but I don't know German and it usually doesn't show up in google search. Though I did find a German site that had some measurement of this horn and comparison to a TQWT design using the same W8-1772 driver. By measurements and freq response, TQWT looked better (better bass response). So really not sure about this horn yet.

Second one looks interesting, I will check out the details. Though its a bit too big for my requirements. I would need a slimmer front profile, something like the TB design.

Thanks.

I think Bob Brines has a couple of simple designs for the 1772 - BR and an MLTL Tang Band Drivers

If you're interested in something more elaborate, attached is a relatively simple folded horn design a friend of mine - not forum member- has sketched up for me to cut him parts for. I've not heard them yet, but a couple of his other more elaborate rear loaded horns worked quite well. Drawn for 18mm material for the exterior and first fold panel below the driver, and 12mm for the remaining internal panels.

Attachments

• 20160428101148532.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 185
Forgive the short reply -had a fun hit of septiceamia for the last 2 weeks & still feeling lousy. Short answer = it won't work brilliantly in Kirishima, but having said that, it will still probably be better than smaller long-path back horns since it has size on its side. I think I did a BVR (well, 99.9% of chambered back horns are technically BVRs -it's just a matter of degree) a while back. Not sure if I've still got the OA dimensions still lying around; if not I'll have to redo it.

Forgive the short reply -had a fun hit of septiceamia for the last 2 weeks & still feeling lousy. Short answer = it won't work brilliantly in Kirishima, but having said that, it will still probably be better than smaller long-path back horns since it has size on its side. I think I did a BVR (well, 99.9% of chambered back horns are technically BVRs -it's just a matter of degree) a while back. Not sure if I've still got the OA dimensions still lying around; if not I'll have to redo it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

The only other well specified BLH option I see for the TB is their own design which is a smaller design in comparison. The main reason I was interested in Kirishima design was due to its larger size. So its reassuring to know that the TB might work fairly well in Kirishima enclosure. As of now its looking like the best design to work with.

Only other question I had was related to the slightly short depth of the driver mount in the horn. W8-1772 extends a bit deeper than the Fostex, so may need a thin extra baffle (e.g. 12mm should do) to fit. Do you think that would cause any issues as such?

Would love to find out about your other BVR design when you get time.

Thank you once again. Take care and get well soon :)

I don't know about 'best design', but it should have an edge over the TB box. To be perfectly honest, we're likely talking about relative levels of 'undistinguished' -purely keying off the published TB data, there's going to be excess gain through particularly the upper bass / lower midband. So frankly my advice is either:

-Use Bob's MLTL or BR, which were designed for the 1772, or

-I can put something together if I can't find the design I did for it some time ago. That might take a few days as I'm still not fully up to speed & I also have to be away Tuesday & Wednesday, or

-Use another design that was developed for the driver.

I don't know about 'best design', but it should have an edge over the TB box. To be perfectly honest, we're likely talking about relative levels of 'undistinguished' -purely keying off the published TB data, there's going to be excess gain through particularly the upper bass / lower midband. So frankly my advice is either:

-Use Bob's MLTL or BR, which were designed for the 1772, or

I was actually only considering BLH design when I said Kirishima was looking like the best option. I am aware of Bob's design and I understand that its been designed for the TB driver and is probably a perfect design to build. However, I would really like to build a horn and as such only considering a horn design at present.

-I can put something together if I can't find the design I did for it some time ago. That might take a few days as I'm still not fully up to speed & I also have to be away Tuesday & Wednesday, or

I would really appreciate that, if its not much trouble for you. It'd be of huge help really. I am not really in hurry, and I am happy to wait if it takes time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.