TB W4 1879 in a BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
After looking over many full range drivers in the 4" range, these look pretty good for a BIB build. 61" x 11" x 8" though I'd probably just shorten it to 60" high.

Tang Band W4-1879 4" Full Range Driver | Parts-Express.com

The BIB config should get the most out of this bass capable driver. It is 8 ohms with an SPL of 87 db which is better than many of the current crop of 4 inch full rangers. My soon to be completed Tubelab simple se might just drive them nicely too.

I could use an "easy" project these days and a BIB is about as easy as it gets!

>>> though I'd probably just shorten it to 60" high...

What!?! You may ruin everything by doing that!

Just kidding. It shouldn't make any difference at all. You won't get any arguments from me about using that driver in a BIB! If it's anything like one of it's big brothers, W8-1808, it will do the 'tone' thing extremely well and be a very enjoyable speaker to listen to for hours. Please keep us posted if you build this.

Zilla

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Interested to hear someone's feedback on these drivers... Do it and tell us how it goes!

Our youngest decided he wanted a violin for Christmas so the budget is a bit tight right now. Thought about building a single woofer in an h frame with the goldwood 18" since my pre has a sub output. Probably would be a good fit with my coniston^2's if I picked the right plate amp.

But getting back to the TB 1879, this seems to be a no brainer choice for a BIB build, particularly for a newb to DIY speaker building. Somebody ought to do it......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.