Tannoy Eclipse (gold) farting woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I got my hands on a nice pair of Tannoy Eclipse, the first version with the gold tweeter, and found that in one speaker the woofer farts, even at very low volume. Visually it looks as new, no tear and wear at all. I swapped the drivers and the other one sounds great in the same cabinet, so I guess the crossover is fine.

A fast check suggests the coil needs replacement, but I haven't managed to find any original replacement kit for it. What if I use a non-original coil that "fits" ? will it make the speakers sound different (and as such also cause phasing etc.) ?

Does it worth the effort at all ? I intended to use it as a small mixing monitor along with my Focals and NS10M, as "represents" the sound of a hi-fi system to me, and I love the sound.

Any advice?

Im not sure what “shifted motor” means, but the magnet seems to be at its exact position, and nothing seems lose...

In case I use a non original replacement, should expect the sound to be noticably different than the stock unit, with issues such phasing between the units, etc? Should I insist on original Tannoy parts, and are those parts shared between different models or should there be one specific for the gold Eclipse?

Last edited:
magnet, pole piece, voice coil = motor assembly.
if a driver gets a big enough hit or thump the assembly can shift and jamb the voice coil.
for older style drivers that were made with very exacting standards, fractions of a mm can be all it takes.
I very seriously doubt it could be see by an untrained eye.
i do not class myself as trained in any sense of the word.

I have just seen other forum posts about various drivers not functioning correctly due to shipping movement of the motor assemblies.

i have no idea if yours are new or old or vintage.
but if your worried about 'phasing' then i suggest you are not the person to undertake a driver repair.

i would suggest contacting tannoy (whoever it is that owns them these days) and seeing if the driver could be repaired, or if a replacement is available.

You could take the woofer out of the box and try feeding the sine signals at different frequencies. If you don't have a tone generator, you can probably find one online and use computer (->soundcard->amp->woofer). Don't use too high volume.
Look and listen while you do this, you might be able to find the source. Could be wires touching the membrane, cracked spider, damaged membrane, bad glue joint etc.

If it's rubbing the voice coil, you should probably hear it just by moving the membrane (carefully) by hand. Could possibly be dirt gone in to the gap, depending on how it's vented. Or things gone out of alignment as mentioned before.

This is just some general clues, I have no specific info on your woofer model.

Push on the cone gently. Does it move smoothly, or is there a scrape?

If you push at the edge of the cone (try different positions on the circumference), does the scrape change?

I suspect we're looking at cone sag, and simply rotating the driver and giving it week or so will probably get things on the right track.

Chris

Thanks guys. Meanwhile I took it to a local speaker repairs guy, who said he was going to make a repalcement coil based on the type and specs of the existing one... I assume it won't sound exactly the same but afraid it's too late :/ how much difference should I really expect ? vs the "original" unit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.