Tang Band phase plug removal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
You could use a X-Acto knife and cut it carefully so if you had to you could re glue it back on? Or just cut it off with as much as you could off the cone and use a phase plug in place? Just a idea ? Jeff

You can't touch the base of the phase plug unless you push the membrane very far in but you will damage the cone in the process. And even then you don't have the angle to cut the glue.

The material is metal, aluminium I believe. You could drill in the center into it at exactly 90°, cut a thread and use a long screw (probably 10mm, use a long screw) and remove it with an impact in the direction of the phase plug screw. You have to be very careful though, the drilling/cutting chips may not reach the voice coil, it will be damaged and you can't get them out. A vacuum might collect them all.
Pulling the screw in an angle to the side is not a good idea, it will most likely damage the voice coil and membrane.

Another method would be a complete disassembly of the driver and assemble it all after the removal again. That requires experience and precision in re-coning and a way to dissolve the glue of the surround and voicecoil without damage to the surround, vc or membrane.

May I ask why you HAVE to remove it?

May I ask why you HAVE to remove it?

Most germane comment in the thread yet, I think. Unless you have good evidence or reliable second-hand evidence, how can you be conifident that such a risky and likely non-reversible tweak would improve any deficiencies you've found or read about? It was certainly a leap of faith a few years back to start painting resonance treatment patterns and experiment with quantities and materials for cone doping - and that was much before opening the polka-dot door.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Is there any updates yet? The only Tang Band I know of that uses a phase plug \ dust cap is the W5-704D drivers. You could always e mail tang band for a custom made set of drivers with out the phase plug dust cap? Or ask for some advise or help? I did that an they were very helpful to me . Just a fyi shipping might cost you a arm and a leg. Jeff

Last edited:
Well, we've seen TB drivers with phase plugs that are rather securely affixed to the magnet center pole piece, which as described above would require very careful disassembly to remove (drilling & removing with a machine screw sounds like a very risky move), and others that are essentially glorified dust caps - more easily removed with careful scalpel work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.