TAD active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

Very nice to find this forum...my first post.

I am a member of a few other forums, notably hifiwigwam and zerogain. However someone already took my old username here! :)

Anyway I am interested in learning from DIY'ers experience in constructing an active system.

I have TAD 2402 loudspeakers. I built custom stands for them and recently rewired them in preparation for activeness :)

A Berning 270 OTL powers the 1601a woofers, a Yamamoto A-02 tube amp power the TD-4001 drivers.

I am trying to integrate a tweeter, notably the TAD et-703 and also the PT-R9 ribbon. The benefits are very clear to me, even if they are not fully aligned!

As I am quite new to the whole active experience I am trying to make the best I can as I go along. I bought a vintage Sony TA-D88 crossover and have been using that with crossover points of 800hz and 10khz.

I was trying to understand the concepts and benefits of Mr.Pass article about current source filters. Also whether it would be applicable to my system.

I am looking to invest in a Firstwatt amp, perhaps to drive the mids/high frequencies. I think it could be a very interesting choice, even vs the nice Yamamoto.

Any tips would be welcomed! I think the TAD speakers have amazing potential.

Regards

Richard

Attachments

• 100_7952b.jpg
    100_7952b.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 570
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Although you have emailed me separately, it is more useful
if I reply here.

I don't think a current source amp is what you want for the
4001 - I have tried it, and it didn't improve the performance at all.

I very much like the PR-T9, and if you can find a pair, I
recommend them highly.

An F2 would be my choice if you want to try a current source.

:cool:

Thanks for the response.

I think I get you. My thoughts were it worked on single, high eff drivers like the td4001. Was that meant to be full range single drivers?

Why is it that the F2 is more applicable?

The preamp is a Leben which can swing 80V / 25db of gain.

Yes I have a pair of PT-R9 ribbons from japan in custom wooden boxes...also some nice ALM HP-105 filter boxes to go with them. I wanted to use them perhaps in tandem with the TAD et-703 drivers....maybe wishful thinking.

I'll have to check around! There do not seem to be many F2's knocking about.

Thanks again

Richard

Actually now I see that the F2 is single ended.

Nelson Pass said:
Although you have emailed me separately, it is more useful
if I reply here.

I don't think a current source amp is what you want for the
4001 - I have tried it, and it didn't improve the performance at all.

I very much like the PR-T9, and if you can find a pair, I
recommend them highly.

An F2 would be my choice if you want to try a current source.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.