TA2024 phase inversion??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using the same modded Trends TA10.1 for a few years with success; in a active bi-amp configuration driving the mid and highs in a fully horn loaded system. It sounds amazing.

But I'm a little concerned now reading here and there that "the TA2024 chip inverts phase" and that "one should invert speaker cables" to get "correct absolute phase".

Now in general most people wouldn't care too much about absolute phase, but in a bi or multi amped system one needs to know if the different outputs are summing correctly.

I couldn't find any data confirming phase reversal on the TA2024 chip; and if it IS the case, wouldn't any serious constructor invert the phase at speakers output so that the user won't have to think about it?

I understand it would be easy to just invert speaker cables polarity and "see what sounds best" but anxious mind need to get some peace, not fiddle endlessly in audiophile nervousia...

Connect one channel to your other amp, and one to this amp. Either highs or lows doesn't matter, leave the other section disconnected. Then play a mono recording and check for correct stereo phase.

They don't swap the terminals on the amp, because one is usually ground and one the output, regardless of phase.

Connect one channel to your other amp, and one to this amp. Either highs or lows doesn't matter, leave the other section disconnected. Then play a mono recording and check for correct stereo phase.

They don't swap the terminals on the amp, because one is usually ground and one the output, regardless of phase.

Oh yeah I didn't think of doing that. thanks! I'm going to try :)

Also I would expect if you had the phase wrong, something would sound off, although the phase at the listening position isn't necessarily what was at the drivers... Will be interesting to see what you find!

I did the test you proposed (thank you!) and sure enough the TA2024 inverts phase. I've been using it the wrong way all this time. But inversion of phase, in case of two amps playing different frequencies of a signal, is only going to create havoc (most likely a null) at and near the crossover frequency, wich doesn't jump to the ears like inversion of phase between two channels of a stereo signal. Add in the effects of acoustics and it's difficult to hear what is caused by what without having sophisticated measure devices.

I've now connected the high-pass speakers the "right way", the difference isn't night and day to the ears but the transition between high pass and low pass seems more "seamless".

Good! I'll sleep better at night :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.