T-amp Speaker Combinations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just wondering what kind of speaker combinations you have all tried.... what works well and what doesn't especially when it comes to the low power that the t-amp puts out.

I was thinking about modding a t-amp myself and have been eyeing the epos els-3 speakers to pair with it. They are 4 Ohms rated at 87dB, do you think these would be too inefficient to run with the t-amp?

What kind of speaker combinations are you running? What works well and what doesn't?

Thanks,
edtang

I've used my AR-17's with the T-amp (90-91db, "8-ohm").. I've had no problem driving them to very loud levels (any louder and it'd be aggrevating the neighbors at my apartment).

I think 90db or so should be sufficient for good listening. If you really want to go loud, you'll need a more efficient speaker, but for just detailed listening, 90db seems to work fine for me.

I do need to try a pair of modded T-amps on my AR-11's.. They're bi-ampable, so I can drive the woofer (80hz and below) with 1 t-amp, and the midbass/tweeter with another.

A little off-topic, but it's too bad that AR just makes cables now.. I really love my AR speakers.

I've had no trouble driving a pair of 89db Energy Veritas 2.2's to normal listening levels in a large room. These speakers have double voice coils on the woofers and need a bit of current. Larger power caps seem to help a lot in that regard, however, if the volume is pushed a notch too high, the meaning of the word distortion becomes abundantly clear. It's amazing how fast the sound deteriorates after reaching that point.

I recently bought a bunch of those little 3" aura's that parts express had a buyout special on. I put a couple in some nice 3/4" cabs and hooked 'em up to the SI. Well these things are rated at 87 db and they sounded a bit anemic on the SI (compared to my other amps). I think 90 db would be about the lowest I'd care to go with this amp.

edtang said:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that since the Epos is 4 Ohms it wouldn't be as bad as an 8 Ohm speaker at the same 87dB rating. Is my understanding incorrect?

Which speaker in particular are you running?

With 4 ohms, the speaker has more headroom, since you're limited by the voltage (really) when it comes to this amp. You'll be able to get about 10 watts out of it with a 12v supply, or ~100db max @ 1m.

You should know that the output caps on the SI are designed for a 6 ohm load, so you may want to look into replacing those, along with the PSU coupling cap. You may also want a beefier PSU (13v-13.5v).

motherone said:

With 4 ohms, the speaker has more headroom, since you're limited by the voltage (really) when it comes to this amp. You'll be able to get about 10 watts out of it with a 12v supply, or ~100db max @ 1m.

You should know that the output caps on the SI are designed for a 6 ohm load, so you may want to look into replacing those, along with the PSU coupling cap. You may also want a beefier PSU (13v-13.5v).

Thanks for the heads up! I was originally only planning on upgrading the input caps and running it with a SLA battery. But now that you mention it, I'm definetly going to look into replacing the output caps and the PSU coupling cap.

Just to confirm what I'll be doing... and a few more questions from the newbie...

Input:
I'll be getting a 2200uF 16V cap in series with a 20k Ohm resistor to connect from the volume POT to R1 & R2 (original R1 & R2 removed). This should take care of in the input caps right?

Output:
Replace the 4 0.47uF caps C21-C24 (labeled "Co" on the Tripath data sheet). What value caps do I need to replace them with to make them match 4 Ohm impedance? (I see it says use 0.22uF for 8 Ohms)

Where is the PSU coupling cap, and what size cap would you recommend to replace it?

Thanks for helping me out!

edtang said:
Just to confirm what I'll be doing... and a few more questions from the newbie...

Input:
I'll be getting a 2200uF 16V cap in series with a 20k Ohm resistor to connect from the volume POT to R1 & R2 (original R1 & R2 removed). This should take care of in the input caps right?

I think you have missed something here. Try 2.2 ufd caps.

Output:
Replace the 4 0.47uF caps C21-C24 (labeled "Co" on the Tripath data sheet). What value caps do I need to replace them with to make them match 4 Ohm impedance? (I see it says use 0.22uF for 8 Ohms)

There are no 0.47 or 0.22 ufd caps on the output of the SI. There is a 0.15 connected from +/-. Replace it with a 0.01 cap, then use 0.22 ufd from the speaker outputs to ground.

Where is the PSU coupling cap, and what size cap would you recommend to replace it?

Thanks for helping me out!

The power supply coupling cap can be anything you want. It is better if it is close to the board. Adding some small low impedance electrolytics from the power pins to the slug helps also. Look underneath and you will see the two surface mount caps bypassing the pins.

George

I'll be getting a 2200uf 16 v cap in series with a 20k ohm resistor
I assume that you mean a 2.2uf cap on the input circuit. If a 2200 uf is used, you will need ear plugs to mask the turn-on noise. Check out Panomaniac's site, he has an excellent diagram, (with photos), of the method you described. Also, if you go to page 4 of the thread titled Sonic Impact 5066 Parts List & Modifications, you will find a discussion of the various options for coupling caps (with part numbers that Motherone was kind enough to supply).

Jumpin John said:
I assume that you mean a 2.2uf cap on the input circuit. If a 2200 uf is used, you will need ear plugs to mask the turn-on noise. Check out Panomaniac's site, he has an excellent diagram, (with photos), of the method you described. Also, if you go to page 4 of the thread titled Sonic Impact 5066 Parts List & Modifications, you will find a discussion of the various options for coupling caps (with part numbers that Motherone was kind enough to supply).

Sorry, those are decoupling caps on page 4.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Surplus Flat-screen TV Stereo speakers

nbrophy said:
I found these Philips flat-screen TV stereo speakers while browsing All Electronics

They are listed as full-range 15W, 4 ohm speaker. I was thinking of buying a pair for my Sonic Impact T-amp. Anyone have any suggestion on whether these with be a good match for the T-amp?

You could probably find a more effective way to spend you $16. For instance, I think PE has some 3" TBs for about that that would go a lot further.

dave

I own a t-amp, and I've heard some talk about how high-efficiency pro drivers are cool. So I've been kinda looking around for a 2-way maybe with a 12 inch driver and say 95-100 db efficiency that will give that 'effortless dynamics' feel. Maybe down to 40ish hz. Oh, and it's gotta be price-consumate to the t-amp.

Sadly, I have not seen much to satisfy this niche. I am thinking about trying to fill it myself, I've picked up a couple of MCM speakers 55-1745 (got 'em on sale for $25 each down from normal price $42) and I'm looking at PE's pyle pro ph44 horn tweeter. That's as far as I've gotten, tho. I got other projects to wrap up first... And anyway, someone suggested that the MCM woofer was a guitar speaker and wouldn't sound good. Time will tell - but at this point it might take a significant amount of time. If you all have any thoughts on this matter, I'd be interested to hear 'em.

But if you want to rock out with your t-amp, I understand a BIB would do it. My room can't support the BIBs, so I haven't really done the feasability study on that one.

Also, for those looking for a bit more volume, since I dropped a heatsink on my t-amp chip I feel like it's been able to give a little more oomph before giving up. But I might be imagining that. We should get panomaniac to do THD tests at different chip temps...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.