I've this one from Schuro

Attachments

• Toroid.jpg
    Toroid.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 400
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Bought a set of boards from Jim's Audio
Hmm...I've been trying to order from Jim's Audio Store but his site message advises he won't sell to me. I assumed they were taking a seasonal break, but a bit early yet for Chinese New Year :confused:.

I have never had an unresolved problem there or with other Hong Kong stores but has anyone else had a recent problem too?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, through Ebay. Thanks for the reply and good luck with the project. It seems I'll have to contact them and find out the problem.

Re: The Hfe range of TIS and drivers.
Fairchild and Sanyo (the OEM of 2SC3503/A1381) Hfe grades are C,D,E,F. I think current Fairchild stock is grade D only (that's Hfe 80-120). Bonsai specifies O, Y grades in the construction article, which probably refer to another part because they sound like Toshiba ranges. It's possible he didn't notice this when revising the schematic and BOM for the Fairchild parts or perhaps some other reason.

You might try buying a quantity of each and hoping to find that there are enough close to the limits of their grade to make a decent match.

Also, I wonder if it really matters that their hfe-s match. Bonsai?

Tried that. I have 100 KSC3503D and 100 KSA1381E purchased in bulk packaging that are useless for getting matched pairs, the manufacturing consistency is too good. There were no high and low outliers, all very similar. Some members have scored small quantities if old stock KSA3503E to mate with new production KSA1381E that seem to work well.

For my other builds I went with a different device that seems to work well but doesn't have the same specs-appeal as the KSC3503 / KSA1381 pair.