SWTPC Universal Tiger Rebuild For Analysis

Funny thing is that the Universal Tiger DOES have a built in power transistor short protector, hidden in plain sight.

You have 50 ohm in series with each power transistor base.
Q7 has R12 and R15 in parallel; same thing with Q8 and R14//R16.

I built tons of these in my early days for grueling MI amplification, they survived stage conditions very well.
I sparked a screwdriver across output terminals with no fear (after the initial tests).
Being an inveterate tinkerer, reduced resistor values "to see what happens", amp worked as before on a regular load but died instantly on shorts.

Given the era, it was an acceptable short protection, since almost everywhere else standard was simple *current* limiting, not sophisticated VI limiting.

"125W"???b No way José (unless you fed it from a regulated bench supply) but a very honest 100W into 4 ohm.

An Ampeg BT15 FET+Bipolar preamp (straight from Jack Darr´s book) driving this loud and robust amp (you should have seen the competition :eek:) was one of my first successful commercial products.

Reactions: 1 users
Tiger

Easy to stop these oscillating.
1] Add emitter degeneration resistors to the diff amp of about 470 ohm.
2] Remove C8 which is in parallel with R7
3] Add a Miller compensation capacitor C-B of Q3 (47-100pF)
4] Remove the idiotic bias network and put in a CFP type with the NPN attached to either Q5 or Q6. If R21 goes faulty = puff of smoke!
5] Put in 10 ohm base stoppers on Q5 and Q6
6] Put in 1.5 ohm base stoppers on the output devices Q7 and Q8.
7] To remove DC offset change R7 to 10K and R8 to 715 ohm 1%
8] Change the input resistor arrangement so that R2 is before R1. Why attenuate and then re amplifiy? Change R2 to 10K and change R1 to 1K.
9] The Zoebel must be across the speaker terminals NOT on the PCB.
10] Remove C10.
11] Remove C11 and C12.

Re ground. R2, C1, C2 must have their own ground isolated ON THE PCB by a 10 ohm resistor from the noisy ground which is R12, R14, C6 and C7

Then the noisy ground is returned to the main T-ground with it's own wire and the quiet ground (R2, C1, C2) is then also returned to the T-ground.

I did many of these with these mods and each has worked well.

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio
Los Angeles.

Reactions: 1 user
Layout or Schematic with Stability Mods?

I've been lurking here for months hoping that you'll post an Eagle or Kicad layout with all the stability mods you listed for the UT. So...do you have a layout you could share on this thread? If not, maybe just a schematic with the mods?