• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any guys building the FetZilla still? It was a very popular amp, I think back and I'm amazed at the success! It was a bare boned design too, but because the parts count and power supplies were all integrated it was a great project; connect to an transformer and its ready to roll.........

MM64 did a great job servicing this amp - thank you Patrick!

Happy New Years to all DIYers out there!

Hugh

Yes indeed, I'm still working on mine. Getting enclosures ready at the moment.
Shouldn't be too much longer but as with all my projects it is pretty slow progress! I have another set of boards on their way from Patrick as well, plans change, and I am looking to do a bi-amp system now with two stereo Fetzilla amps. Boards for the original set are basically ready, just waiting the case and finishing off. Haven't listened to them yet unfortunately!

Are there any guys building the FetZilla still? It was a very popular amp, I think back and I'm amazed at the success! It was a bare boned design too, but because the parts count and power supplies were all integrated it was a great project; connect to an transformer and its ready to roll.........

MM64 did a great job servicing this amp - thank you Patrick!

Happy New Years to all DIYers out there!

Hugh

Hi Hugh. Like you, I have had to deal with some serious health issues between my purchase of boards (1 stereo pair) on I think GB2 and today.

I can no longer work (since 2013) which has had a serious impact on my income which is down by about 65%, but with patience I do have enough funds to complete the project over the next few months. I have about $650 a month in uninsured medical expenses, but I have to say that as someone who was essentially self-employed in the past and would have had no employer health coverage were I living in the USA, I am grateful for my province's Health Care program which saved me ... I dunno ... probably $250,000, maybe more.

I have another amp project in the works as well, so in the end, perhaps sometime late summer, there will be a possibility to compare the Fetzilla with a Modulus-86 (the other project) plus my Anthem Amp1.

One thing my illness has allowed is the time to play a bit on the audio bench, and also more time to enjoy music here at home. It's important to look at life in the proper perspective, right? ;-) I have adopted a new motto to live by: "A day without music is a day wasted."

Neurochrome: Modulus-86 Rev. 2.0
Plus there is a thread here on DIYAudio

Last edited:
For those of you who have built competed Fetzillas, what are the internal dimensions of the enclosure you used?

Hugh, what heatsink from Conrad do you recommend and to our North American builders which from HeatsinkUSA did you use (I will be building with dual toroid 200VA 120V/25V transformers)?

Finally, to those who did not use the Auricap capacitor, which did you use and did you need any special attention to fitment?

Last edited:
J2B,
The two heatsinks I use from Conrad are MF30-75, 300mm long, 75mm tall, and 45mm fins. These are each 0.42C/watt rated.

Any good quality film cap is good for this amp, even any electro will sound very good. Try not to exceed the physical space allocated on the pcb; very large input caps tend to pick up radio emissions.

Size of the enclosure is not important; just large enough to accommodate the pcb, the toroids, and the heatsink - nothing more!

The Neurochrome (the designer is a nerdy, balding guy??) looks very good on measurements. However, how does it sound? Very good specs do not guarantee good sound..... we are actually not measuring sound quality in THD. We need more information; like the profile of the harmonics.

I sincerely your health improves. Health is pivotal to doing anything with your life.

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
J2B,
... {snip} ...

The Neurochrome (the designer is a nerdy, balding guy??) looks very good on measurements. However, how does it sound? Very good specs do not guarantee good sound..... we are actually not measuring sound quality in THD. We need more information; like the profile of the harmonics.

I sincerely your health improves. Health is pivotal to doing anything with your life.

Cheers,

Hugh

I am not one to chase numbers for their own sake so I don't want to give the impression the very low overall THD specs of the Modulus-86 project are important to me (and I believe you and I would agree that Total Harmonic Distortion is a near-useless specification beyond the most basic assessment) but I will note that the design exhibits reasonably good Harmonic behaviour (H2, H3, H4, etc).

What attracted me to the Modulus-86 project is Tom's (the designer) attention to component layout and the resulting effect on performance. The apparent emphasis on chasing numbers should not be seen as the end but as the means for evaluating layout as an effect on performance. I have decided to build a monoblock version to perform a subjective evaluation of his efforts. He also lives only about 400 miles from me (to a Canadian, an afternoon stroll away).

Please excuse the off-topic reply.

I appreciate your concern for my health, as I was when you were ill. As someone who had robust health all my life until one day ... I have a new appreciation for the value of our physical well being.

Last edited:
He is running!!

Hallo to FetZilla Community.

First i must say great Thanks to Hugh, Greg, Lineup and Mikelm for sharing
his knowledge with us DIY assemblers.

My Boards are from last Group Buy- Thank to Meanman this Way.
After long Time collect all Parts together, i've now finitely all assembled- puuhhh!!- long time was gone.

2 Days back i've started with setup procedure. After 1/a half Hour they running
stabil with offset crossing the zero- Point+/-, all good.
Now it's time to listen- late Night, first!
I don't like to spent expensive Money for PP- Input Cap, so i found by reading
on Greg Erskin's AKSA 55 Comment the use of Nichicon QXP.
With first listening i use it impressed me much. After 2-3hrs burn it it gives a
nice Imaging Stage, good Solist/Instrument separation and Front- backwards
orientation.
Also there is a full bodied presentation, nice human Vokal
Next Day i tested out russian PIO- Cap's MBGCH, MBGO.
The first gives more in Treble rendering, it loose in separetion
Second MBGO (see on Pic) soundet in kind of QXP and wins about bigger MBGCH.
In use with good choice source the Amp is singing.
Musik begins to flow out of my budget DIY Speaker from German K & T CT225 Strassacker: Loudspeakerkits (DIY kits), but sounds
surprisingly good.
The Amp sound in Region what i'm searching and i agree what Hugh wrote
about #High End Class# Amp.

Also a German Distributor have Heat sink Fischer SK 56/75/SA which i use.
https://www.hifituning24.de/mechanik/profil-kuehlkoerper/fischer-elektronik-sk-56-75-sa.php
At these given point i'm very lucky to finish mine successful now.
Hope i can reassemble a second with new Boards Group Buy.

Are in new Boards some changing Part Spacing!!?
- the Fuses 6x30 could not placed exactly
- the Rectifier Diodes Hole Dimension was to small.
- the Mosfet could not change to Exicon, also the given Holes to small.
hope it could be possible increased in *The NEW FetZilla Board*

For the Moment Thanks to Patric for starting new Group Buy- i'm in.
Also Thanks to all Mentors and DIY'er that we can enjoy a wonderful Amp.

In Moment if i write here i'm listening to Kabel- Radio- Station: Cool Jazz-
it's really cool to listen.

Attachments

• PIC_0289.jpg
    PIC_0289.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 446
  • PIC_0290.jpg
    PIC_0290.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 439
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you too, Bangle! And to me, like Meanman, the FetZilla is pretty important in my heart too!

If the fuse connects well then that is sufficient; if you use 20mm M205 fuses it's fine as long as they contact at the ends.

The FetZilla has very good resolution and it delivers a full body presentation. It is ideal for older music, recorded in the sixties and seventies, and very good for TV music on a soundbar. I found the best sound around 350mA quiescent, but the heatsink does get warm.

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.