SUT Plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I'd like some help in choosing and implementing a SUT into the tube phono stage I'm building.
I have two LOMC carts I like very much and were dear to purchase so they are permanent residents for now.
An Ortofon "Per Windfield" 0.3 mv and >10 ohm recommended impedance. This sounds best to me at 800 ohms.
And a Soundsmith "Paua" 0.4 mv and 470 ohm as a strongly recommended load.

The problem seems with the reflected load and the 47K resistor I was planning on using. With a 10:1 ratio turns ratio the reflected load is 470 ohms - perfect for the Paua. Although some have said the 10:1 ratio may not be enough. The real problem comes in with the Ortofon. This cart may well need a 20:1 ratio step-up and that will leave me well shy of the desired load of 800 ohms.

I had a recommendation from a transformer winder to use a 20:1 ratio transformer and substitute a 400K ohm resistor for the 47K. Here is what he had to say: Your example of the per winfield (0.3mv 4Ω) and the Paua (04.mv 10Ω) are a perfect example. The 4Ω and 10Ω cart impedances of the two are at the edge of what I would consider close enough to work well with a single SUT. The design of the paua limits the step up ratio to about 7 which combined with the 0.4mv output will net 2.8mv of output which is at the low end of what I like for feeding a typical MM stage with ~40dB of gain. If you sub in the winfield the 1:7 ratio would cause your output to be 2.1MV which is at the edge. The winfield really wants a 1:20 to better integrate into a system and of course the 1:20 becomes a liability for the Paua.

Since you included a schematic for the phono I trust you could increase the 47K input Resistor to a value that will make a single SUT more suitable and a 400K would allow a 1:20 to work well for both. It is important to realize that the secondary of the SUT serves the same purpose as the 47K resistor so with a SUT installed or connected, the resistor is no longer needed at all. A grid tot ground reference (47K or larger) is only required in the event the SUT get disconnected while the system is on.

Thoughts on this plan?

I can easily swap the 47K resistor for the 400K ohm resistor but I thought I might run two sets of RCA inputs so I could have flexibility to run a HOMC or even a MM. Thoughts on this as well would be welcome?

Can I wire the inputs as I've drawn them below?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 355
The output levels for both carts are close, so assuming the gain is enough with a 10:1 SUT, what if you used a switch to change the input impedance from 800 to 470?

If instead you use a 20:1 SUT, the 47K becomes 188K and the 33K becomes 132K.

The statement from the xfmr winder that the 47K is not needed is incorrect; while the secondary of the SUT does provide a ground reference for the grid, without a termination resistor it does not provide an impedance that is transformed to the input side of the SUT.

Attachments

• SUT.jpg
    SUT.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Still working on this but I have a couple of Sowter 1990 SUTs on the way from the UK. They are switchable between 1:10 and 1:20 but cant figure out how to wire in a switch or switches to accomplish this. Attached is the PDF file with the pinouts and wiring schematic. These will be octal socket mounted within the phono-stage chassis. Sketches would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    347.3 KB · Views: 214

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The key clue is the funny numbering on the primary. This is a conventional way to lead-out dual windings for series/parallel connection. It is *also* used for 120/240V switching, and I stole a diagram for that.

Attachments

• WntrMute2-42.gif
    WntrMute2-42.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 195
Still working on this but I have a couple of Sowter 1990 SUTs on the way from the UK. They are switchable between 1:10 and 1:20 but cant figure out how to wire in a switch or switches to accomplish this. Attached is the PDF file with the pinouts and wiring schematic. These will be octal socket mounted within the phono-stage chassis. Sketches would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
Dave

I have the 1990’s as well and they are my fav!
I lived with the Lundahl LL1971 for awhile and the Sowters sound sweet in my system, versus the Lundahl being analytica.
Nothing more than preference on my part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.