Surge Protection Component - Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rowemeister said:

I have scratched away at the component and I dont think I can get into it, it appears to be made of a ferrit material.

Brent

MOV´s also consists of sinter material.
The best will be to get the characteristic with a current limited (resistor) voltage source. If you take care, that the DUT don´t get more then 1W it will survive.
After that it will be interresting to do the same test with a "normal" MOV!
But even in the case that this device may be better then "normal" :
In this "circuit" without any current limiting element between the mains and the crowbar it is useless, because so it try to limit surge voltages from the whole mains which has a very low resistance.
And more: It´s dangerous to use it without any fuse direct on the mains because in worst case itself or the board can be burning!
Heinz!

Hi,
the cables to the distribution board, then to the socket outlet, then to the equipment and finally to the arrestor, all have inductance.

A spike will be attenuated by the combined inductance and arresting device. Since these are very short duration events, the inductance can be relatively low and still have a good attenuating effect.

Sounds like a formula for experimenting with long, low resistance mains cables with different core spacing.:rolleyes:

richie00boy said:
I suspect this magical item is merely a common-mode choke, and as-good performance can be had for a fraction of the price by fitting a high-quality IEC socket filter.

Not a chance mate, it sits parallel across live and neutral. This is some kind of super-MOV or gas arrestor. It doesn't wear out (not a MOV) and does supposedly clamp spikes effectively (not a gas arrestor). It's not just a transient diode either I suppose!

Simon

richie00boy said:
LOL, in that case, you will definitely get better performance from a cost-effective IEC filter socket. By limiting the operation to parallel, you deny the opportunity to achieve much better filtering.

So how does this box connect? Does it just have an input and output socket?

No, it's parallel! Just a plugtop box. Increasing the mains impedance is generally seen as a bad thing, so some companies (like Russ Andrews for example), only make parallel filters (large capacitors work well). However, nobody seems to know how their most pricey spike clamp works!

richie00boy said:
Typical twisting of science to trick the 'novice tech' customers... The impedance will only be (for practical purposes) increased at very high frequency, at which no audio content could ever hope to get near.

Yes, that would be true if the inductor had zero series resistance, which you know isn't true. True of a ferrite bead/clamp tho, which you'll see on many "high end" power cables.

I would personally love to find out what this component is so I can learn how to remove spikes more effectively (without paying so much for it of course!)

Si

richie00boy said:
Typical twisting of science to trick the 'novice tech' customers... The impedance will only be (for practical purposes) increased at very high frequency, at which no audio content could ever hope to get near.

I dont think its 'Twisting of science' when he has a clamp device thats £50 and consists of 6 components. And this one has one component and its loads dearer and performs better.
Surly he would do this the otherway round.

His spiel also suggests its a 'state of the art component'.

Brent

rowemeister said:
I dont think its 'Twisting of science' when he has a clamp device thats £50 and consists of 6 components. And this one has one component and its loads dearer and performs better.
Surly he would do this the otherway round.

His spiel also suggests its a 'state of the art component'.

Brent

You need to have worked in audio retail ;)

He can charge more for the 'toffee' because it performs better, nothing especially to do with how many components it has.

The best performing item of any product line is always 'state of the art'.

There is a chance it's a custom manufactured component, also which would push the price up.

richie00boy said:

You need to have worked in audio retail ;)

He can charge more for the 'toffee' because it performs better, nothing especially to do with how many components it has.

The best performing item of any product line is always 'state of the art'.

There is a chance it's a custom manufactured component, also which would push the price up.

No offence but you are not exactly being helpful.

The question still stands WHAT IS IT?

Brent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.