Supravox or Fertin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Fertin 20EX raw listen

Hi,
I just finished my OB with these drivers and had a listen. No long time necessary to realize the Fertin 20EX is the best driver I ever heard.
It replaced a "Magnificat"speaker, according to KYW's naming (axiom 80 & axiom 201). OK, the OB has less bass, but with one driver alone, it is making quite nice bass with a 162X100X1,5cm panel.
It has a sound closely related but better than the axiom 80: dynamic, detailed and smoth. Timbres accuracy is great. Just now, it has a so-so DC supply just for breaking in the drivers and because I could not wait more ; batteries later.
So, without any refinment in the setup :rolleyes: (well I mouted it flush both panel sides, not easy with this guy ...), the potential is there without doubts.
Never heard a Supravox unit.
All the best,
Alain

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Baffle size

Hi hardcore,
as I have just enough room for large panels; I prefer large panels for bass extension. My room is 4.6 m wide. I followed dice45's experience about baffle size.(Fertin project - calling all open baffle experts ).
Salut Gilles,
c'est très volontier pour les plans. Je te contacte par email. I just bought a CD with warble tone tracks for breaking-in.
All the best,
Alain

Alain,
Please keep us posted on your experience between battery as power supply

I currently use a 20amp power supply choke filtered feeding both drivers. I have close to 12V and 1 amp draw each driver. Sound is great and the best I've heard so far.

How are you toeing in? I have mine pointed straight ahead which seems to have the best tonal balance

HC

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Fertin 20EX setup

Hi,
about toeing in, yes: to my understanding, at high frequencies the radiation is quite directional. So I have aligned the driver axis with the listening position (see picure).
Of course, I'll tell you about batteries. I googeled a lot about batteries and found only positives reports about it.

Gilles, I don't understand why you say the FC is max. 12V. At Fertin website, the values range is 5 to 15V (20EX curves ).
About the FC power supply I use (constant current regulated):
12,9V - 1.19A (R=10.84) at start
12,9V - 1.10A (R=11.72) after 2 hours.
I choose 12.9V as I read in this forum that at this value the magnetic circuit is saturated. But dice45 had 12.9V/1.5A (R=8.6). Does anyone knows whether the FC design has changed ? I'll also ask Mr. Semblat. A little OT, sorry.
All the best,
Alain

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Picture here !

Attachments

• vue ensemble allégée.jpg
    vue ensemble allégée.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,317
Re: Fertin 20EX setup

alain_online said:

I choose 12.9V as I read in this forum that at this value the magnetic circuit is saturated. But dice45 had 12.9V/1.5A (R=8.6).

It's best to experiment with PS voltage. When I was using previous version of 20EX, I settled on 11.5V as this worked best in my setup. Increasing voltage above that value seemed to degrade the sound. The PS was based on adjustable LT1086 regulator.

Now, that I have the new version of 20EX, it appears that the driver works better with higher supply voltage (12v and up). I still didn't do any serious comparisons, as I was waiting for a complete burn in.

I finally managed to complete PS for my Fertins. After months of using the new drivers I settled again for 11.5V supply which consists of 2 x 7.2 Ah 12V Panasonic cells in parallel. The charger is connected permanently and described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1390594#post1390594

I couldn't use batteries alone as there was too much current draw and the voltage couldn't be kept steady. Connecting charger in parallel has rather negligable effect for the sonics. So the charger is connected permanently and set for 11.5V, which keeps the batteries at the same voltage; batteries are being disconnected from the speakers overnight only.

Hi,
I have the Supravox 215EXC field coil driver in open baffle and the sound is amazing. It is sent a full range signal but drops off at 70Hz. They are powere by Welborne Terraplane 300B monoblocks. A ribbon supertweeter is used with a single M cap to send it 10Khz and above. The bass (70Hz and below, 2nd order) is augmented by a separate active crossover which goes to two 300 watt Keiga plate amps powering four Hawthorne "augie" 15" open baffle woofers. I can't be happier with the sound. I do not have any experience with Fertin.

Attachments

• cherry speakers1 small pict.jpg
    cherry speakers1 small pict.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,001
Another option I would recommend looking into is the new Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris. It may sound as nice as my Supravox filed coils at about $735 each. It is a 15" driver with a Radian compression tweeter. The crossover is the best quality using M-caps. I probably would go with this if I had not already invested in the Supravox drivers. This product is strictly for open baffle.

Jim

Hello all, my first post concerning Fertin speakers 20EX model7.
Afther severall contacts with Mr. Semblat JM I visited him last week in France too listen his new model 7 20EX with copper coils in his OB panel.
I've taken my integrated SET amp (2W) with me, to be sure it match his speakers.
Afther a few hours of playing in (new speakers) I can confirm the match with this integrated SET amp (8ohm) and was delighted to compare it with his PPT amp. There was something going on frankly spoken. Emotional communicatief and very open and naturall sounding, detailled without any stress. Thanks to Mr. JM Semblat for the very nice listening session and YES I bought those FR 20 Model seven because it works fantastic with only 2W. in OB! Ask him, maybe he prefered that little SET that day?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.