Supra speaker cables, opinions please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks

Tecsul have just started a representative venture in Brazil
Not sure yet if they will provide usual 2.5 m teminated elements or per meter. To check.

http://www.tecsul.com.br/telao.htm

carlosfm said:
Supra speaker cables are very flexible but...:down:
If you like smooooth sound...

Hi Carlos

Do you mean they are harsh?
How do you rate its price range? Cheap, pricey?
Um abraço

JC

JC Fardo said:
Do you mean they are harsh?
How do you rate its price range? Cheap, pricey?
Um abraço

JC

Olá, JC.

No, I mean that they sound too smooth for my taste.
They take the "air" and detail out of the mids and treble.

You can try some Cable Talk 3.1 or Linn LK10.
These go for around 5 Euros/m here and are MUCH better than any Supra I tried, including the (more expensive) Ply 3.4S.

Um abraço.

peranders said:
Maybe you should change speakers instead.

P-A, don't tell me that.
I know (and used, and still have) Supra speaker cables for around 20 years.
It's not a question of my current speakers or amp or system.
I_know_Supra_cables_very_well.:clown:

peranders said:
I'm perfectly happy with my electrostatic speakers _and_ the Supra cable.:)
The sound has "air", is very detailed, is "big".....

Good for you.
Maby they are a good match for your speakers.
Maby they are balancing a mid/treble forward character of your speakers.:D

In my oppinion, the solder-"plating" on the thin OFC-copper wires is responsible for this "recessed" balance.

speaker cables

If you are trying to improve the sound of your system by purchasing anything better than 14 gauge zipcord, you've got a very long road ahead of you. If the cables are contributing to the sound, there is something seriously wrong with the cables, no matter how much they cost or what they look like. Considering all the other wiring in your system and your house, the street, the power plant, etc.... they're the last place for a problem.

if, OTOH, you want to brag about fancy "music hose" cables, or "liquid highs" with "silky smooth" mids... buy the most expensive glitzy cables you can afford. After all, perception ALWAYS trumps reality. PT Barnum once said.....

auplater said:
If you are trying to improve the sound of your system by purchasing anything better than 14 gauge zipcord, you've got a very long road ahead of you. If the cables are contributing to the sound, there is something seriously wrong with the cables, no matter how much they cost or what they look like. Considering all the other wiring in your system and your house, the street, the power plant, etc.... they're the last place for a problem.

if, OTOH, you want to brag about fancy "music hose" cables, or "liquid highs" with "silky smooth" mids... buy the most expensive glitzy cables you can afford. After all, perception ALWAYS trumps reality. PT Barnum once said.....

I remind you that this thread was to give an oppinion on Supra speaker cables.
I don't see any valuable contribution on your post, because you think that cables that "don't contribute to the sound" exist.:confused:
Where?
Have we also arrived to the "wire with gain" for the ideal amplifier, or is this the Twilight Zone?:clown:

And btw, notice that I did recommend two choices of cables (instead of the Supras), at around 5 Euros/m.
Because who asks for an oppinion on Supra cables will be much better served with these.

Re: speaker cables

auplater said:
if, OTOH, you want to brag about fancy "music hose" cables, or "liquid highs" with "silky smooth" mids... buy the most expensive glitzy cables you can afford. After all, perception ALWAYS trumps reality. PT Barnum once said

SY, this didn't seem a very polite way to come to this thread.
Was I "bragging"?!

Why are you picking only a part of the post?

Tell me, is there a cable without a "sound of it's own"?
Because I want to buy it.
Is it so hard to beat 14 gauge zip cord?:clown:

I gave my oppinion on Supra cables.
The topic of this thread.
I gave two (cheap) alternatives.
Done.:angel:

cables... and more!

>SY, this didn't seem a very polite way to come to this thread.
>Was I "bragging"?!

The first part of my post is pretty much proven fact.

>Why are you picking only a part of the post?

>Tell me, is there a cable without a "sound of it's own"?
>Because I want to buy it.
>Is it so hard to beat 14 gauge zip cord?

As a matter of fact, no one has proven otherwise, as long as the cable gauge, terminations, and insulation meet minimally competent engineering standards established long, long ago.

If cables contribute so much to the sound, why not eliminate them altogether and use a microwave link from pre-amp to an integral speaker mounted amp. After all, we're talking about achieving the "ultimate" sound here aren't we? Then the cables couldn't contribute any sound because they would not exist!

>I gave my oppinion on Supra cables.

I also gave an opinion on Supra cables (and most other "high end" cables as well). Since I've been building and listening to all matter of equipment for 40+ years, I've seen and heard alot of fluff, and the rage over "cable sound" is up there with the worst of it.

If one wishes to use their cables as a graphic equalizer or tone control, be my guest. There is precious little proven data to support any of the theories relating to "cable sound" other than obviously flawed designs rolling off high end, etc.

>The topic of this thread.
>I gave two (cheap) alternatives.
>Done.

And I gave a much cheaper and equally effective alternative.

Re: cables... and more!

auplater said:
I also gave an opinion on Supra cables (and most other "high end" cables as well).

If you read my posts you will find out that I don't like Supra cables, so don't come with that "high-end" talk because you can buy Supra for as little as 1€/m.

auplater said:
The first part of my post is pretty much proven fact.

Proven fact for you.
You believe that blindly, there's nothing I can do.
You can't make me believe in god, too.

I don't know how can you conclude what's the "right" cable.

auplater said:
As a matter of fact, no one has proven otherwise, as long as the cable gauge, terminations, and insulation meet minimally competent engineering standards established long, long ago.

If you resume a cable to this, you sure know what you are talking about.
You ignore inductance and capacitance to resume a cable to insulation, gauge and terminations.
You talk like a 60's "audiophile", when "all the amps sounded the same", bellwire was fine, etc.

Re: Re: cables... and more!

carlosfm said:
Is it so hard to beat 14 gauge zip cord?

What on earth do you mean by beat it?

I gave my oppinion on Supra cables.The topic of this thread.[/B]

On topic

I gave two (cheap) alternatives. [/B]

Off topic

auplater said:
pretty much proven fact.

In other words, speculation

And I gave a much cheaper and equally effective alternative. [/B]

Off topic

carlosfm said:
You ignore inductance and capacitance to resume a cable to insulation, gauge and terminations.

Why do you say he ignored it?

I think the both of you would be better to offer forth your opinions in a more congenial manner. This was not intended to be a urinating match. You both are aware of the inability to offer concrete information concerning the perceived differences in cables. Please allow yourselves to admit that and lets move on.

I am interested in others opinions at this point.

Cal

Re: Re: Re: cables... and more!

Cal Weldon said:
I think the both of you would be better to offer forth your opinions in a more congenial manner.

Read the thread from the beginning and you will see why this got to this point.
I think we were discussing in a civilized manner until a wise guy came in.

Discussions about cables don't appeal me.
I just gave my oppinion on cables that I know very well, and that was on-topic.

Now I'm out, gotta go see if it's raining outside.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.