supposedly the best ever amp, comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, we know and could build very good amps by the mid-70s. Most scrimped on output devices and that is about when, thanks to Ampzilla, the demand for high power numbers took off. But because we could, did not mean everyone did.

Older equipment can be re-caped. Sometimes even better than original as we did not have some of the newest materials. Sometimes just modifying the case for better airflow improves linearity. Most power supplies can use with an improved filter bank design. The method of compensation, VAS loading, Miller or Transient Miller and how inclusive the feedback loop. All things we can play with. Huge differences in input and VAS CCS.

I still remember not being impressed with it. Maybe the price which made it irrelevant to me gave me a subconscious tilt. Only amps that were twice what I could afford would leave an imprint. Still, amps are cheap and easy compared to drivers. Considering another build after many years. Surprised the lowest distortion drivers are not new, except the uber exotic which are irrelevant to me still. Diamond are not on the table. Transducer Labs, Satori, HDS, CSS, all possibilities for tweeters. Not sure how much difference there is between an amp producing .01 and .001 when the mid and tweet are @ .5% or worse.

Jason, where is the like button?, i like this post....

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Matti Ottala's thesis on amplifier design that was part of the promotional material at Electrocompaniet's product launches and during visits to other countries, was pretty controversial too. IF I recall correctly, it sparked John Curl's interest which he subsequently followed up with his own developments along Ottala's lines. Bob Cordell and other engineering heavyweights however, disagreed with the theories and as far as I have read, still do.

'Seems the cauldron is still bubbling and not much has changed over the years since.

Last edited:
My second-hand view which I've heard but is not my personal opinion is that the net effect of what was done with this design is a very musical bass. i.e. one that is capable of many rapid changes at the lower end. But as I say, not an opinion I stand by as I've not heard one of these amps as a 'grownup'

Thanks God Technology advances, parts are more consistent, we have better instruments to measure them, new experiments are devised, etc.

That said, amplifiers in general are very good and have been so for a long time, they are not a limiting factor as in the 50´s, where "Hi Fi" was a dream, 20Hz to 20kHz was a very difficult task, same as going below 1% distortion, etc.

Today (and already for over 20 years) a humble $5 chipamp provides performance old Engineers would have murdered for.

In principle an amp reaching 2MHz flat is "better" than one reaching "just" 200kHz , 0.001% distortion is better than 0.01% and so on, and that can easily be measured, but that has absolutely NO relevance to what any Human Being can hear.

Now don´t start me on speakers :(

I always enjoy vintage stuffs whatever it is, because they have more character than today's rather gentrified equipments. Owning it and using it everyday is a different story, though. If audio equipments are small like watches, I'm sure that vintage audio equipments collection should be a very popular hobby.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.