• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Volumio2.668 fixed the infinit loop error found in the previous version. It can handle 15000 files without the above error. Rescanning music files is very fast. There are a few new features. Very good, indeed.

Hoping programmers will fix the BeagleBone AI bug, and Botic player for AI will be available soon.

I don't use mpd, only nad.
N.B.: i forgot to say that you have to select botic kernel to use the image with BIII and hermes

...And that only on ST (or even ST-RT) kernels the battery operated shutdown delay is working fully ok. On RT-only kernels shutdown via SSH is required, at least in my system.
But sound quality is top notch using Hqplayer4/Nad, the best i experimented in my system until now (and i tested many configurations, images and players, including "exotic" ones like Wtfplay, BHE and Hysolid)

The etc/asound.config file is very basic in the ‘stock’ distribution of Botic. I am traveling currently but when back with my home system l will reply again with some additions for asound.conf that you can use to open more channels and manage signal routing within them. Shoot a reminder if you don’t see something next week. :)
F.

I took the scope to my home lab. Tomorrow a BIG drinking time starts over here so I’ll have some quiet days to take a peek at data1..3 lines. :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I just say that aplay -l or -L sees only two channels instead of 8 expected by serconfig.

Yes, default is two channels for ALSA & botic. I also use a USB input to the BBB and it offers up to 8 channels with prescribed routing, such as "surround71:CARD=xxx". For signals that are rendered by the BBB (such as using multichannel MPD) you can create the additional needed channels in asound.conf simply by specifying the desired number. However, you will also have to manage the routing manually. This is fairly easy to do with the aid of the command 'speaker-test'.

Is this normal to force channel number in alsa config? An external USB multichannel DAC looks initially as a device with 8 outs.

Yes - ALSA is quite powerful and flexible, although it is frustrating to learn because the minimal documentation is not instructional. So, here is some code you can try as-is:
Code:
ctl.!default {
     type hw
     card 0

pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave {
        ppm "t-table"
        channels 8
        rate "unchanged"
     }

pcm.t-table {
    type route
    slave {
     pcm "hw:0,0"
     channels 8
    }
    ttable {
      0.7   0
      1.3   0
      2.1   1  
      3.5   1  
      4.2   1  
      5.6   1  
      6.0   1  
      7.4   1  
    }
}

The table format above is X.Y (space space) Z

X = the input channel number
Y = the output channel number
Z = the output volume where zero is 'off' and one is 'full volume'. You can combine more than one input into a single output channel (such as to create a mono sub channel) and then the sum of volume factors should not exceed 1.0...

I found that the channel routing was all jumbled with BBB/Hermes/Cronus, so by using 'speaker-test -Dplug:default -c8' I was able to find the correct pairings.

Finally, ALSA is very fussy with spacing and character syntax. If the above doesn't work I suggest re-typing the above with only spaces and simple quote marks.

If using MPD as your player, remember to specify the correct number of channels and output plug in etc/mpd.conf

Code:
audio_output {
    type            "alsa"
    channels        "8"
    device          "default"
    # plus whatever else you need...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
too late to fix an autocorrect error - NOT 'ppm "t-table"'

you want: 'pcm "t-table"'

Sorry - just noticed another mistake in the above ALSA code box: Each plug (either ctl. or pcm.) needs symmetry of left and right brackets. [When I moved things around in the above code box they didn't end up correct.] The last plug is correct, the first two need one more '}' as the last character. After editing asound.conf, you can check syntax using aplay -L. If it is not correct you will get an error message. For safety, before you begin editing make a backup of your working asound.conf file: 'cp asound.conf asound.conf.backup'.

good luck,

Frank

Last edited:
RompЯ is a browser-based client for MPD!

Hi Christian :xmastree:!

Volumio for BBB is dead, is it worth it to install RompЯ? This is a browser-based client for MPD.

How install RompЯ?

Installation On Linux | RompЯ
GitHub - fatg3erman/RompR: Web client for Mopidy and MPD

RompЯ сan control a music player on another device or on your computer. Because it runs in a web browser you can run it ony any device - your laptop,tablet, or phone can all be used to control your music player. It has a rich and beautiful interface which is intended to sort your music, manage radio stations, browse and subscribe to podcasts.

Last edited:
This post from @bern is from 2017 here but apparently nobody replied.

Code:
root@beaglebone:~# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to [EMAIL="cpufreq@vger.kernel.org"]cpufreq@vger.kernel.org[/EMAIL], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms.

I run into the same issue on my Debian 9 / Botic 7 setup.
I tried to install cpufrequtils:

Code:
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# apt-get install cpufrequtils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cpufrequtils is already the newest version (008-1+b1).

I this due to Botic or how can I make it set my frequency to for example 300 MHz ?

Hi Christian :xmastree:!

Volumio for BBB is dead, is it worth it to install RompЯ? This is a browser-based client for MPD.

How install RompЯ?

Installation On Linux | RompЯ
GitHub - fatg3erman/RompR: Web client for Mopidy and MPD

RompЯ сan control a music player on another device or on your computer. Because it runs in a web browser you can run it ony any device - your laptop,tablet, or phone can all be used to control your music player. It has a rich and beautiful interface which is intended to sort your music, manage radio stations, browse and subscribe to podcasts.
Just do whatever you want. Just try to figure something out for yourself and let us know your findings please!

Gentooplayer for BBB

Newer version of gentooplayer for BBB available at Download - GentooPlayer
Now configuration via web interface is possible and user can choose between different ALSA versions. Various kernel options (including RT and botic ones) and players/servers available (more than one can be enabled at once), ramdisk support and more.
Stable, high performance and very good sounding! :up:

Thank you!!!
Please explain, if it is possible to control Gentooplayer (MPD) via a mobile phone’s webbrowser (GUI)?

Which for players are available to control Gentooplayer (MPD) via a mobile phone :cheers:?

Thank you!!!
Please explain, if it is possible to control Gentooplayer (MPD) via a mobile phone’s webbrowser (GUI)?

Which for players are available to control Gentooplayer (MPD) via a mobile phone :cheers:?

As i said, i don't use mpd, but you can ask directly to antonello caroli (creator of gentooplayer) here: GentooPlayer - Software - Audiophile Style
He is very kind to help users and develop new features if needed