• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Hi shadowlight,

I'm sorry, I've never moved the system to eMMC, so I can only assume that after you've moved to the eMMC, you should carry out all the actions there, and remove the SD card.

I'm actually not using the MPD now - moved to the NAA, so the install of the system trimmed down to writing the image onto the SD and installing Botic and NAA (well, installing SSH and other system setup). No more compiling stuff :)

As for the apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade - I don't think you need to run them on a regular basis, since Botic and NAA (and MPD if you're compiling it) are not coming from official linux channels.

Thanks,
Fedor

Last edited:
I am still running a Botic 4 image downloaded some years ago.
This was based on Debian 7 (Wheezy) and MPD 0.18.

As MPad is not supported anymore I was looking into a new control App to run on my iPad.

There is a new App called Rigelian but this one needs at least MPD 0.19.

Which Botic version / image uses a newer MPD version ?

Or (not really a Botic question) how can I upgrade MPD manually ?
Going trough "apt-get update + upgrade" does not update MPD to a newer version.
Trying "apt-get install mpd" tells me I already have the newest version (0.18.0)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Which Botic version / image uses a newer MPD version ?

Or (not really a Botic question) how can I upgrade MPD manually ?
Going trough "apt-get update + upgrade" does not update MPD to a newer version.
Trying "apt-get install mpd" tells me I already have the newest version (0.18.0)

I believe you need to be running Debian 8 (Jessie) to be able to use MPD 0.19.X. I also believe Miero’s more recent distros have been updated beyond Wheezy some time ago. I updated to version 8 using the ‘boticize’ method so long ago that I don’t recall the steps. It’s been running great and I haven’t needed to touch it...

Check here: Index of /botic/pool/main/l/linux-upstream

Frank

I did not tell yet that I have tried some other upgrades (including the steps by fred_com at page 248) but run into some problems that the EMMC was full.
Both by using "dd" command like dd if=/dev/mm... of=... (from SD to EMMC - message in Putty telling copy has ended because of memory was full) or starting the sequential led's after pressting the boot button which after some time started flashing all at the same time in on/off sequence also indicating memory was full.
Should not happen as my SD card is 4 Gb and EMMC is also 4 Gb.

The problem is that I have limited Linux knowledge and when something does not work I do not know how to fix it.
I can only hope that any step-by-step instructions work as described :D

Long story short ... I also found some info how to restore the partitions on the EMMC but are not sure this was the correct one for my BBB.

Better first fix this ( not sure if it is broken at all ) so if somebody can tell me how to check and restore te partitions before I flash the EMMC from SD I will avoid some potential issues.

I found the twluke image... as it is 7,9 Gb I will need to get a bigger micro-SD card.

I just finished my Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9038 build with the BBB-Hermes-Cronus chain as input. So far I used the BBB with Volumio (the last build that was available on the volumio.org website) and an USB DAC without complaints. The only problems were the missing updates.

Q1: This volumio version offers Botic as an output option. Is this sufficient to make my setup work?

Q2: Are there any community efforts to get an up to date volumio version with botic for the BBB?

I read through the last pages of this thread to find answers to my above questions and stumbled upon many people that seem to use roon instead of volumio now.

Q3: Why do you think roon is superior to volumio? Does it work seamlessly with the BBB?

Q4: Does the 119$/year apply for this use-case as well? I think this is a pretty high price for "just a music player". Not sure if I am willing to pay this :-/.

Thanks!

I read through the last pages of this thread to find answers to my above questions and stumbled upon many people that seem to use roon instead of volumio now.

Q3: Why do you think roon is superior to volumio? Does it work seamlessly with the BBB?

Q4: Does the 119$/year apply for this use-case as well? I think this is a pretty high price for "just a music player". Not sure if I am willing to pay this :-/.

Thanks!

I can comment on the use of Roon with Botic. I've been using Roon for over a year and find it to be well worth the cost. I use it throughout my house not only with Botic but also Raspberry Pi and a Windows machine. It has organized and revealed unseen elements in my large music collection. Most important though is that I felt it sounded better than Volumio (used as a DLNA renderer with JRiver).

People seem to have the mentality that music software should be free. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for software that I use regularly and will be maintained, updated and improved.

Thank Pixel,

Had to update my keys before I could the get apt update was first issue. Set time and date. Did the apt update then apt upgrade. Ran the script file from #1914 which seemed to download the Glibc, but when I check the version I am at 2.13 still. May have to play with it a little more, but haven't blown up the install yet.

I downloaded twluke's (Thank You!) revised image and am still getting read only error on boot. I can mount the drive and get rw back, but it doesn't goes away again after reboot.

Originally Posted by Luca72c View Post
After deleting the "0" in fstab's UUID and rebooting, the file system was still read only.
I solved assigning a label to the sd partition and using that in fstab. Now the filesystem is rw at boot.
Thank you again for your image!

I am not sure how to do that. I assuming I can't hear audio through Roon because it boots up in a read only state. The bridge starts fine (once the drive has been mounted) and Roon sees the device. Thanks

I got Roon working. Just wanted thank twluke.

I really like the daccfg_es9018 config setting. Does this work on the 9028/38 chips too.

Though not tried, I suppose it will not work because the register addresses for software control via I2C should be different between B3SE and B3SEpros.

When switched to B3SEpros, I had the same idea like yours, expecting someday miero might write a similar executable file for 9028/9038Pros on BBB (well, sorry for demanding too much) ...

Regards,

I'm running twluke s image (Thank you so much!!!!!). With the implementation of Roon, I today changed the Clocks on Cronus board from 22/24MHz to 45/49MHz. Cronus Clock divider jumper is set to disable. Roon is set to upsample everything to 348KHz.

Is there anything else one has to do? I'm getting no sound at all.

I'm running twluke s image (Thank you so much!!!!!). With the implementation of Roon, I today changed the Clocks on Cronus board from 22/24MHz to 45/49MHz. Cronus Clock divider jumper is set to disable. Roon is set to upsample everything to 348KHz.

Is there anything else one has to do? I'm getting no sound at all.
You can not disable the divider jumper to get sound. It should be set to J1:2 in your case.

Anyway, my understanding is that you are running a RoonServer on a PC other than BBB and you are trying to feed the source (upsampled to 384 kHz) to Botic BBB connected to a DAC (specifically Buffalo SE3 or SE3Pro) via RoonBridge.

Regards,