• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Hi,

after reading as much as possible (and not understanding a lot). my aim is to use bbb with cronus via teleproter to Bufallo III dac.
I would like to use roon on bbb. after there is now a detailed instruction on how to use latest volumio. could someone give a (please) detailed instruction how to setup latest botic version with roon?

thx

Branko

Hi,

after reading as much as possible (and not understanding a lot). my aim is to use bbb with cronus via teleproter to Bufallo III dac.
I would like to use roon on bbb. after there is now a detailed instruction on how to use latest volumio. could someone give a (please) detailed instruction how to setup latest botic version with roon?

thx

Branko

You might want to try Roon Bridge. It's linux version works well with Botic-BBB (debian stretch with Botic driver in my case).

Regards,

Hi,

many will have noticed, that MyVolumio is out in beta version. Lossless streaming via Tidal/Qubozz is now integrated. I tried it with an raspberry, as there is no (and probably will be no) BBB version, easy to use, although they want money now for unlocking all services.

BUT:
Is anyone planing to integrate the driver to this? Or has anyone yet successfully done that?

At the moment I still use OpenHome server with BubbleUPnP and Linn Kazoo, but.... you know

Question for wealas

Roon talks to ALSA, not the driver directly. Look at GitHub - therealmuffin/synchronator: Synchronator brings bit perfect volume control to Hi-Fi systems with Linux as source. and the Roon configuration section. You can do something similar or just use the synchronator to sync the alsa volume.
I use it to control my preamp.

Hi wealas,
I've been looking for a way to have Roon (Roonbridge on BBB) control the volume on my preamp. I just noticed your post about Synchronator. My preamp volume can be controlled with IR. I was wondering if a Global Cache iTach Flex could be used with your Synchronator? The iTach Flex will convert network commands to IR commands.
Regards

Hi, thank you. Could you provide some info how to make it?

BR

Branko

I prefer manual installation on a Botic-BBB system. So I usually download the Roon Bridge (armv7hf) for installation. After decompression the package forms a directory called RoonBridge. Move it to /opt or anywhere you prefer. Within this directory, just run the shell script called start.sh. There may be some error messages during the process but ignore them and wait for a while. Then you will find the Botic BBB is ready for use as RoonBridge in the setting menu of the Roon.

Regards,

I prefer manual installation on a Botic-BBB system. So I usually download the Roon Bridge (armv7hf) for installation. After decompression the package forms a directory called RoonBridge. Move it to /opt or anywhere you prefer. Within this directory, just run the shell script called start.sh. There may be some error messages during the process but ignore them and wait for a while. Then you will find the Botic BBB is ready for use as RoonBridge in the setting menu of the Roon.

Regards,

Hi thank you again. Which version of botic-bbb should i use? And which version of linux for the bbb? Sorry if this is to much noob

BR

Branko

Hi thank you again. Which version of botic-bbb should i use? And which version of linux for the bbb? Sorry if this is to much noob

BR

Branko

The best way is to read the previous posts in this thread. :)

Anyway, first of all, you have to make a bootable SD card of debian stretch from here. Read carefully the instruction there. Once you succeed in making a bootable debian stretch system, then replace the kernel with the Botic system by installing the latest Botic kernel and headers. If the installation goes uneventful, you will get a Botic-BBB system (4.8.13-botic7-rc3 as of this writing). After that, install RoonBridge.

Regards,

Hi wealas,
I've been looking for a way to have Roon (Roonbridge on BBB) control the volume on my preamp. I just noticed your post about Synchronator. My preamp volume can be controlled with IR. I was wondering if a Global Cache iTach Flex could be used with your Synchronator? The iTach Flex will convert network commands to IR commands.
Regards

First off, I did not write Synchronator, I just use it.
Second, it has experimental support for IR control so I don't think you would need another device, just try it out and open a ticket on github if you have problems so the author can fix it.

Hi,

I'm sorry, can anyone tell which Debian to use when installing botic.

I tried so many times but in the end, after installing botic kernel and reboot: nothing...

In effects things are getting a bit messy... so much different versions, updates,instructions, details... and Linux sure is not a user-friendly O.S. for GUI-accustomed users.
Would it be possible for Miero (or someone else in its place) to post in the first thread page a weekly updated dummy-proof and coherent guide, that guarantees a sure and stable installation of Botic on BBB for everyone (and connected fundamental audio softwares)?
But it should to be really dummy-proof, not assuming that everyone can easily cope with concepts like "linux kernel", "console image", "compile", and the like. Something like "download this"->"put it here"->"write this" and so on, in every detail. :blush:

It would be very nice for it to have separate sections for installing MPD and/or squeezelite and/or Roon bridge and/or hqp NAA software... ;)

Or better still, isn't it possible to have a simple ready and working image to write on a microSD from our PC and boot in BBB without many hassles, including what is needed (mpd, sqzl, etc...), similar to Volumio ones for example?
Sorry for being so noob (and lazy), many of us are really having an hard time to get our BBB-Botic-Hermes-Cronus-BIII working: official guides were announced several times for years but never released; informations have to be chased in multiple, extremely long topics; instructions are often meant for Linux-aware users (even on Beaglebone site and resources)... We are audio diyers, not programmers or makers... we just want our dacs to work with BBB, without being forced to become Linux experts.
:worship:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
In effects things are getting a bit messy... so much different versions, updates,instructions, details... and Linux sure is not a user-friendly O.S. for GUI-accustomed users.
Would it be possible for Miero (or someone else in its place) to post in the first thread page a weekly updated dummy-proof and coherent guide, that guarantees a sure and stable installation of Botic on BBB for everyone (and connected fundamental audio softwares)? :blush:
... We are audio diyers, not programmers or makers... we just want our dacs to work with BBB, without being forced to become Linux experts.
:worship:

I second that idea.

I lost all my notes and helpful Linux instructions I had saved in a folder, when I decided to abandon WIN10 :mad: and revert to WIN7 ;).

If something happens to my BBB, so as to require a reinstall, I'd have a mess. :( Oh wait, I do have an microSD that has 'Botic v5 flash' written on the case!

If it's good I don't know! I hope to never have to find out.

Getting ready to order a Beaglebone Black rev. C to be used with Cronos and Hermes I2S. Does the Botic driver work on the Beaglebone Black Wireless also? I would like the wireless option but if it is not supported I will just order the regular black version.

PS: If anyone is looking to sell their spare Beaglebone drop me a pm.

I second that idea.

I lost all my notes and helpful Linux instructions I had saved in a folder, when I decided to abandon WIN10 :mad: and revert to WIN7 ;).

If something happens to my BBB, so as to require a reinstall, I'd have a mess. :( Oh wait, I do have an microSD that has 'Botic v5 flash' written on the case!

If it's good I don't know! I hope to never have to find out.

A working, prebuilt, updated, ready to flash debian stretch image including last botic would be perfect. Isn't it possible?
The hardware is approx. the same for all of us, so it should be feasible...