Suitable transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
So, I was at my local surplus yesterday and saw a few toroids for sale, but the interesting ones were big dual secondary 39V, 10A toroids (390VA??) for 20$. I am thinking to use it to power a SKA amplifier (the GB150D)
Is there any reason to stay away from it - what should I look for?
I didn't notice the manufacturer name but I was thinking that a power transformer is nowhere near as important as an the various transformers (input, output, choke, etc) in a tube amp, say...is this assumption correct?
Thanks for your help,
Byron

If it has two 39 volt windings, then it's what you need for 100W/8R per channel. If it's 2x19.5, then you have two choices - 20-25 watts (with enough VA for class A) or stack two in series and get up to 200W/4R. Still only 40 bucks. And there really isn't any way it could be "bad" for DIY audio amps.

Deals like that are the only way you'll ever build an amp cheaper than buying it.

yeah, i seem to remember that it was 39 Volt secondaries in parallel...thanks!
No, i was just wondering whether the is any type of 'quality' issues - everyone seems to use plitron, hammond, etc...all these name brands that seem to usually cost upwards of 75$...is it really necessary?
Thanks again,
Byron

mantisory said:
Hi all,
So, I was at my local surplus yesterday and saw a few toroids for sale, but the interesting ones were big dual secondary 39V, 10A toroids (390VA??) for 20$. I am thinking to use it to power a SKA amplifier (the GB150D)
Is there any reason to stay away from it - what should I look for?
I didn't notice the manufacturer name but I was thinking that a power transformer is nowhere near as important as an the various transformers (input, output, choke, etc) in a tube amp, say...is this assumption correct?
Thanks for your help,
Byron

I have a couple of those toroids, they are from Active Surplus, right? They are good, but not great. It's what I originally tried to use in the PGP amp and they have under full load a significant magnetic imbalance in the core (most likely due to asymetrical windings), leading to significant 60Hz even harmonics radiation. In a word: they are noisy. I gave up using them and got two toroids from Plitron, you can pick them up in Toronto, avoiding the shipping costs.

YMMV, but I wouldn't use them for any high end application.

AndrewT said:
How do you identify or measure that?

Typo, that would be "odd" not "even".

It's an assumption. A magnetic core imbalance is known as creating mains frequency odd order harmonics. I'll try to find some references about and post here.

Experimentally I have found that these harmonics are extending well into the KHz range. Take a look at the spectra at http://synaesthesia.ca/distortion.html (the 1KHz IMD product spectra picture).

Once that I switched to Plitron toroids, these harmonics almost vanished in the noise floor.

I want to ask if there is a standard for transformer voltages.
What I know there are:
- 15 VAC
- 18 VAC
- 22 VAC
- maybe 25 VAC
- maybe 30 VAC

In short what transformer voltages are out there?
What do the manufacturers offer?

And 19VAC, 33VAC, 19,5VAC, 37,5VAC 44VAC, 43VAC, 50VAC, 55VAC and so on and so on.

There was a little standardisation back in the seventies, but as production methods have improved and the producers warehouses are more and more empty, you will find producers that make what ever secondary voltage you may ever want, and you get it without any extra costs what so ever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.