Suitable capacitor types for Cdom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jam is spot-on right. Between the two, I'd choose silver mica, not so much for its sonic qualities but because of its tight tolerance and better reliability. Sometimes, polyestyrene caps get quite easily damaged physically or are shorted, if the amplifier goes into oscillation for some reason.

Sonically, both are excellent.

Shaun,

My first choice is silver mica followed by polystyrene. Sam is correct in saying that polystyrene is not as reliable as silver mica.
Both the types of capacitors have excellent high frequency characteristics. Stay away from ceramics.

Jam

I have Heared that silver micas can have Nonlinearities at low voltages. So i would think Polystyrene types to Be safe. But Ya these types are sensitive to abuse and most Board wash solvents, Can indeed short, but i have used them as well as silver Micas for years with good luck on Both. I would be interested if anyone has any info on Silvermicas becoming nonlinear at low voltages?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.