Suggestions plz: Big Sound @ budget price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I figure this post can be dual purpose. Solve my problem and make a list of top notch budget plans for other newbies.

I have recently started looking into DIY speaker building. I am unfortunately limited to a >$350 budget for drivers, x-overs, caps etc. I do fortunately have an unlimited free supply of MDF, hardwood and a carpentry workshop.

I was pretty set on something like the tritrix mtm setup with a sub or a set of Dayton 8 towers that I would incorporate with a sub at a later date. The problem is here in Australian getting access to these Dayton drivers is either expensive to ship or really expensive to buy here.

So what I'm looking for is good clear music with a deep, loud and clear bass. Obviously one makes sacrifices with my budget but I'm sure I can make something significantly better then what I currently own. I would prefer speakers that don't have to be more then 6" off a wall. Size is not an issue.

So please suggestions (and if possible links) to great value for money 2.1 or just dual speaker >$350 solutions. Remember we are trying to keep this discusson on the level of newbies and proven designs with plans is best.

Thanks for your time, hi to all the Aussies,

Mitch

To meet this mission, first find those drivers available in your neighborhood that will fit into system you have in mind; otherwise, shipping cost will quickly consume your budget irrespective of the specific system design you choose.
Have a close look at near-by Pacific Rim manufacturers that have representation in your country. For Australia, my preference is P-Audio [1], but I am sure there are others, as well

[1] P. Audio Systems Co., Ltd.
E-mail: info@paudiothailand.com

Cannon Sound and Light Pty Ltd.
Mr. Daniel Trevor
Email: admin@cannonsound.com
Website: Public Address Systems | Portable PA Systems | DJ Equipment & Lighting

I would prefer speakers that don't have to be more then 6" off a wall. Size is not an issue.

Can you clarify? You mean the speakers could be huge but need to position near a wall, not out in the room?

And, what kinds of music do you listen to, and how loud do you want to listen? (don't lie!). What amplifier do you have?

Don't know about pricing, but here are some sites:
Speakers
Speakers - Speakerbits
Darcher Audio

Hey Guys,

Sorry been concentrating on writing a business plan for a uni assignment for the last 3 days.

Room size: 3.2 x 3.3 x 2.7meters.

Music I listen too:

Drum and Bass,
Electronic,
Trip Hop
R&B
Heaps of other stuff - a fair bit of pop, rock, some good metal, jazz, lots of random stuff.

Volume: I listen to it loud enough to hear anywhere in the house clearly. I have removed things from walls just so I can listen to music without annoying vibration sounds. When I am sittin in front of the computer I obviously turn it down to non damage inducing volumes.

I do have an ABN, and I am aware of Wes Components.... my problem is I have no idea which drivers I should aim for and combine into a speaker system lol. Thus why I was looking for proven plans.

Hasaudio are good except their dayton drivers have some hefty markups and they don't seem to stock the cheaper dayton line. :(

I don't have an amplifier atm, I plan to dedicate some money to this, another reason why I am aiming for >$350 for the speakers.

Thanks for all the responses, I am learning more and more.

Mitch

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
A pro-audio based system will be best to reproduce the "live event" for the type of music you listen to.

Econowave is a good starting point - with the current stength of the dollar you may just scrape in to your budget if you order from overseas.

Scour ebay for a descent second hand amp and you are there.

For instance: Dayton 8 Plan

Full set of parts: 6 drivers + crossover bits $192 @ Parts Express with $116 of extra postage

6 Drivers at Hasaudio $198.67 + $ 48.98 shipping.

This set of speakers is still under my $350 budget when purchased from parts express. So it is currently my fallback option but I am just trying to see if some tried and true plans that I could maybe setup here in Aus that gets better sound quality because I have spent less on shipping.

Need to start looking round for a receiver/amp too I guess. Will be looking to run it off SPDIF or from sound card on my comp.

Night all, sorry HasAudio, I bet you guys are cool but that rising Aussie Dollar makes american stuff cheap :(

Mitch

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The dayton 8 appear to be good value with reasonable efficiency, im sure you'll be happy with either.

I would also put aside some of your budget for DIY room treatment i.e broadband / bass traps in the corners. They are cheap, easy to build and will make a huge difference to the sound.

I do fortunately have an unlimited free supply of MDF, hardwood and a carpentry workshop.

IMO, use as much hardwood and as little MDF as possible - brace generously.

For really high efficiency & ear bleeding SPL's 4 - 8" or 3 - 10" or 12" woofers topped by a compression driver on waveguide minitowers would accomplish that. However, for your budget, you would have to shop very carefully to find decent drivers at the necessary price.

Last edited:
So what I'm looking for is good clear music with a deep, loud and clear bass.

G'day Mitch,

Room size: 3.2 x 3.3 x 2.7meters.

Your room is essentially square and almost a cube – possibly two of the worst possible shapes for a listening room.

Dimensions of the room that are the same as (or even number multiples of) each other will cause certain frequencies to add together or cancel each other out. These are known as ‘room modes’. This will make some bass frequencies virtually inaudible and cause others to boom uncontrollably. Net result is bass that is extremely uneven and lumpy.

Unfortunately, no matter what system you use, to achieve your goal in that room will require some serious room treatment ie. bass traps and absorbers. Fortunately you have an unlimited free supply of MDF, hardwood and a carpentry workshop – all of which you will need.

If possible, the easiest solution is to use another room with better dimensions.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey all, I can use another room and indeed I plan to alternate between the computer room and my lounge which 3.5 x 5 x 2.7 with one long wall missing (opens into kitchen/dining).

I'm the ultimate in careful shopper and am willing to shop round for bargains. Without searching on goggle yet what I am really needing at this point is a list of good performance budget drivers. Then I can shop round and see what I can do. A mini tower with bleeding edge spl sounds fun, just got to shop around. I'll see what I can find regarding that list myself but brand and product line suggestions where drivers are available for under $30-40 ea would be greatly helpful. I'll identify available drivers and then try and make something out of them I guess

Again thanks for all the help

Mitch

For really high efficiency & ear bleeding SPL's 4 - 8" or 3 - 10" or 12" woofers topped by a compression driver on waveguide mini towers would accomplish that. .

So for a build like this I would be trying to couple a Selenium D220Ti-8 + JBL waveguide horn ($ 59.34ea set + shipping) with 2 or more 8 or 10 inch woofers?

I imagine the trade off here compared to standard Econowave is the higher quality woofers vs more woofers? Also more crossover (I barely know anything about actually designing crossovers yet lol). Would installing more then one woofer be an increase in volume or bass while retaining quality?

Some potential woofers:

Peerless
830586 8" SLS Shielded Woofer $21.68 ea
Dayton DC200-8 8" $21.85 ea

Dayton DC250-8 10" Classic Woofer $25.72 ea
Dayton RS270S-8 10" Reference Shielded Woofer $49ea (Currently heavily discounted)

Dayton DC300-8 12" Classic Woofer $37.75 ea - the classic "standard" econowave build. -> If I was simply to use 2 of these on each tower, how much would I need to change the proven cross over and would I see a net benefit to a move like this?

Ordering from parts-express even with an expected $100-$150 of shipping costs is still value for money in comparison to buying locally. I have looked at the local retailing options listed in this thread and product lines seem to be focused on higher end stuff with little in the way of cheaper drivers available. Is a pity, I would liked to have chucked that $100 into better drivers. I am considering delaying my build by a week or two and have $400ish to put into drivers + associated parts.

Reading reading reading, all I seem to be doing at the moment lol. Anyways I'm off to play slightly intoxicated monopoly. See you all in a few hrs.

Mitch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.