• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suggest a preamp for cd/tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have searched around this board and read/learned quite a lot. I still am a little undecided on which direction I should go.

I need a pre for CD, Tuner and possibly 1 other item only. In other words no LP's. I would like it to be tube. Problem is I need it for both SS and tubed amps (I tend to switch amps alot when testing). Any problems with this?

anyone have any suggestions? being a tube noob I really at this point have no preference (yet) though I do like the 7591 and the el84 amp tubes.

I am pretty new to DIY audio but I worked in industrial electronics for awhile so I am comfortable with soldering and point to point circuits.

Thanks

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
If you're going to drive solid state then you need a low output impedance. If you're driving from CD you certainly don't need gain. Tuners historically produce quite low levels. But what about yours? Could it drive your power amplifiers?

I'd use a cathode follower. Why not have a look at the recent "Heretical pre-amplifier" thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.