Subwoofer, to build or to buy? New SVS Pro vs Sunfire True EQ (as a DIY donor)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I already have two decent 'little' 10" subwoofers which are being used in two separate rooms at the moment, although I have tried using them in a dual stereo format. To be honest though I think ones ok on its own, the gains from using two I found were not that overwhelming really, to me anyway.

Anyway I fancy getting a ported, as these types seem to be unmatched for pure cavernous depth, more trouser flappy bass than the sealed designs but at the cost of some size, as I would have preferred a smaller form factor. Plus I do tend like using with movies quite a bit these days which is entertaining. The ones I have now are a passive radiator design and do have pretty tasty amplification in them and decent drivers as well.

Sunfire TS-EQ10 Subwoofer - Subwoofers - Speakers

So do I strip one donor the parts for a home DIY ported, or just sell one and put it towards a try/buy of the latest SVS one which has all the bells and whistles so to speak, and even a fancy app that can fine tune your bass while listening and even keep presets for certain methods of using your subwoofer. Like saved presets of settings for music or settings within settings for movies, late night etc even. Nothing like a bit of tweakability on the fly :)

These new SVSs look awesome and the video link describing them makes me want to try one even more.

SVS 2000 Pro Reference Series Subwoofers Promise New Lows in Audio | StereoNET United Kingdom

Not sure what to do yet. Would be sad to see the tiny Sunfire sub go though, they are so neat and powerful for their size. But the time has come just to be proud of having a big (er) box I think :D Maybe I could buy an all white one so it doesnt stand out too much :) Or my DIY one could look like a chest of draws even :D

YouTube

If your current sub is a passive radiator design, the only advantage to a diy ported box is if the current enclosure is less than optimal in size. The 2 design types function the same. However, if you do measure the driver parameters and do the box math real quick as far as air space, you can plug those numbers into winISD or hornresp and see what's going on.
I'm big into diy, but it's not for some. The svs subs with their new dsp and finishes make them very attractive. Check out some hsu stuff as well.

If your current sub is a passive radiator design, the only advantage to a diy ported box is if the current enclosure is less than optimal in size. The 2 design types function the same. However, if you do measure the driver parameters and do the box math real quick as far as air space, you can plug those numbers into winISD or hornresp and see what's going on.
I'm big into diy, but it's not for some. The svs subs with their new dsp and finishes make them very attractive. Check out some hsu stuff as well.
Thanks, you make some good points. The SVS may actually be a bit of an issue because it doesnt support speaker level inputs :(

HSU stuff looks good also, but UK availability may be an issue there :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.