Subwoofer Placement in Large Room (30x50x14)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently the subwoofers are 1/3 the way on the same 50 foot wall facing the opposite 50 ft wall. So 15ft from the 30 ft wall and 15 feet between each other.
That is easily one of the worst locations you could pick for subs. Think of your 50ft building as a guitar string and pluck it at 1/3 the distance from either end, you setup a nice standing wave with complete cancellations at regular intervals.

The 18s will, maybe, go in each of the 4 corners, possibly facing each other with 50 ft between them.
Ty it out and see/hear what happens.

Your current subs are relatively small and easy to move so why not try out some of these suggestions with them. Simulations are a nice tool but they don't always take into account all factors affecting sound in the real world so often the results don't quite match up.

Last edited:
Fair point that sims do not always equal reality, but given the option of lugging four 18" subs around a large room or clicking and dragging a mouse around a screen, I know what I'd pick to start with! lol

Yes, a sim is a sim and it has its limitations, but I was wondering whether you had compared the two, another member here did a sim of my setup and movements of subs and it did bare a resemblance to reality in my room

Yes, a sim is a sim and it has its limitations, but I was wondering whether you had compared the two, another member here did a sim of my setup and movements of subs and it did bare a resemblance to reality in my room
I must put my hands up to having done no detailed comparisons between sims and reality - well, other than simming my room and the only location subs could go, only to find my sofa was bang in the middle of a 30Hz null (IIRC), which was very much the case in reality once it was all in... lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.